PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

65chevy

Lurker
Jan 14, 2013
I'm in North New Jersey we have some crazy law but that never happens here. you can't buy a pipe on Sunday's in part of the state, but tobacco is ok.

but you can't get tobacco product in most of our supermarkets.

pipes are not that big here, you have to look hard to find places that sell them.

cigars are big, the Tony Soprano thing.

the few of us smoker hit the big tobacco shops like JRs in Paramus.

maybe it has something to do with the kids cleaning out their glass pot pipes and they want to make it hard for them to buy? it the kind of crazy stuff we do.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
"No way will I ID a person I know is older than 21. I do have common sense and my common sense tells me this guy is older than 21. Yes, fire me if you'd like. There are other jobs out there. They may not be the best jobs, but I'm sure one can be found that pays the same as a cashier."
This is awesome. Just move from job to job, week to week, quitting everytime the management tells you to do something that you don't understand or doesn't make sense to you. Truly the adult solution.
I work for the State of Texas as a Correctional Officer. My son was on leave from the Navy this last week, and we had a short conversation on the general concepts of:
1. We both like doing "what we do" on the job, for the most part. Not every part is fantastic, but it is agreeable in most parts.

2. We don't always like the way we are required to do our job, based upon specific supervisors, policies, or "traditions".

3. Some folks are protected by the system, and have no place in chain of command. Either at the top or the bottom of it.
So, knowing that, I wouldn't recommend my son going AWOL or getting a dishonorable because of some misunderstood rule or statute.
I was a sacker at Kroger in high school. I also worked as a checker for another chain in high school. I can't recall a whole bunch about the day-to-day of that job any longer, but I do know I was basically a dumb high school kid, and pretty much just tried to keep it between the white lines of what they told me to do. If I went on some philosophical tirade about store policy on cigarettes to the night manager, I was just going to be ignored or laughed at. If I quit the job, I was just going to have to find another job at some other place with some similar policy or maybe a different one. Hard to get a job when you interview for a minimum wage spot based upon the policy of pipe cleaner sales.
Probably a hundred ways, over the last 50 or 60 years we have ended up in a place where pipe cleaner sales pop up a "check age" code on a cash register. But the solution probably lies way out of the comfort zone of about 90% of the folks who complain about how crappy it is.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Excellent arguments on both sides, but I'd have to go with Portascat's post.
Holding a high school kid or retired person just doing their job responsible for the general theme in today's society really isn't any answer at all.
In my retail store, or when I'm out and about, if the subject of smoking comes up in almost any situation, I let my feelings be known to whomever will be willing to listen to me. I know its fruitless, but I try to explain simply that lumping all tobacco sales as 'evil' is unfair and untrue. There is a difference.
How can anyone really change the entire tide of the Western world? In almost every country, smoking of any kind is so restricted by the 'do gooders', I just throw up my hands.
It still doesn't stop me from going on my tirade.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
I have a new part-time job.
I'm a pipe cleaner "Diller". I'm the guy standing outside of Kroger's in a trench coat on a warm day.
I try to temp old men that smell of tobacco and children that are just looking to have some fun. No fuzzy-sticks to be found here. Every pocket in my jacket is filled with the dreaded "pipe cleaner".
I sell pipe cleaners to anyone with the dollars to pay. No names; no ages.
Kroger's may be able to protect you from wires and fibers, but they can't protect you from me!!!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKtN7Y51ySo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o35vjBhCtVI

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Well that escalated rather quickly lol.
I see both sides. Kid is just doing their job, but it is a bit asinine when the person clearly hasn't been underage since Jimmy Carter was in office.
I say go with the flow for now and vote for a politican who agrees it's asinine and looks to fix this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.