PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
Looks like you just need to clean up the steam. Also I'm drinking right now but is that a "white spot" dunhill?

Reactions: cshubhra
Update ... midway into the project

1. Yesterday I called it Wally Frank. Actually it’s a Willard

2. The pipe was in lots of distress. I have made it somewhat smokable

3. The nomenclature is now shot. Rookie mistake but my goal was to make it look nice, not preserve the nomenclature

4. I am done with the stem. Some tooth chatter still remain, but I will keep them. Further attempt to remove them was making the bit look odd. I might put some Obsidian Oil to it tomorrow

5. The bowl looks beautiful now as unfinished- the photos below really don’t do justice

6. I have nothing else at home to finish the bowl with except beeswax. I am debating whether I should put beeswax

7. The bowl has been partially rimmed. Since the rimming was taking too much material from top and only very little from
bottom, I stopped. Most of the carbon and some Briar has been reamed off. I did a quick salt and alcohol mainly to practice, but I am sure it helped some

Once I am fully done, I will post a final picture and all the steps and challenges

Reactions: lightmybriar

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Looking good. Be weary of the beeswax melting off if the pipe gets hot. Also watch for finger marks when warm. Nice work so far

corncobguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
Why wouldn't you want to restore it? I believe it to be a nice project myself. I've restored some really nasty pipes that have made it into my rotation. Looks good so far, have fun with it and anything that you may mess up just use it as a learning experience. Like mentioned before be wary of the bee's wax, it really does melt off.

Yes... this was good practice. I will use something else in place of beeswax for a more permanent finish

Why wouldn't you want to restore it? I believe it to be a nice project myself. I've restored some really nasty pipes that have made it into my rotation. Looks good so far, have fun with it and anything that you may mess up just use it as a learning experience. Like mentioned before be wary of the bee's wax, it really does melt off.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yes bees wax from what I have noticed, seems to be more sticky, then caranuba wax. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. But I could see how it might melt later on in life.

Otherwise you're off to a good start!

Status
Not open for further replies.