I am sick of Chew Juice Bottles and Ciggarete Butts Litter!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

steamtrain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2010
The pile of Tobbaco Juice Bottles is building up at the Train Platform..I feel sorry for the poor homeless guys who have to pick allumnium cans for a living and get that crap all over there hands. Same goes with butts they are all over Station Sqaure. Pipe Smokers leave less "evidence" behind them

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
I agree it can be nasty...but they have used litter as an excuse to place a ban on smoking at my old university. Even though they couldn't pass it by vote, the forced it on all people on campus. So small complaints can lead to an erosion of all of our rights. Just my two cents.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
I agree that litter of any kind is a bad thing, but my question would be as to whether there are any receptacles available. While some people will litter anyway, most people will put their trash/butts in a receptacle if it is available to them.
You mention people picking up cans, so that suggests there is more litter than just butts and spit bottles.

julesholling

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2011
Sutton, Surrey
Spit bottle! God they sound disgusting, never come across them here in the UK as chewing tobacco is just not sold anywhere and nobody does it here.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Pigs are a part of society….they always have been and always will be. :(
:? On the bright side hundreds of thousands of people take home a paycheck each Friday for having to clean up after the pigs all week.

hfdpipe

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2010
CT
in college I can't tell you how many times a poor drunk bastard mistook one of my spitters for one of their beers :lol:

steamtrain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2010
As far as Cans go I leave them on top of the trash can so that the hobos

can collect them. In NY State which is a bottle bill state cans and bottles are a nickle so even pop bottles that have spit can be run through the machines for a 5c. Here in Pittsburgh only cans can be recylcled for weight which is 3 cans for a penny. From the hobos standpoint this means less money per can but more cans after Steelers games and they can be crushed. Hobos fight over territory over who can pick cans in which neighboorhoods. I know this because I have shared my tobbaco with them for them to smoke in rolling papers. Pennsy needs a Bottle Bill.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
that is the biggest source of my hatred towards cigarette smokers, always throwing them down with the attitude that someone beneath them will have to pick it up.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
I remember years ago reading that smoking was banned on Waikiki beach in Hawaii because of the litter it produces. Of course, they were talking about FILTER cigarette butts, and I can understand that reason. Before, when everybody smoked straights, there was no problem because unfiltered cigarettes (and pipe tobacco) are biodegradable and are soon disappeared.
As for tobacco juice, I have chewed/dipped for 45 years, even longer than I've smoked a pipe. At home, my favorite spit receptacle is a dark brown stoneware tankard that I empty in the toilet and rinse out daily. When driving, I usually use an 18oz plastic cup ("Solo" or the like) which just fits my drink holder recesses. When I'm driving with others or visiting, my favorite spit cup is an empty 12oz. "Quik" chocolate milk bottle. The plastic material (and plastic label) is opaque (to avoid people SEEING the result of my Skoal enjoyment), and has a nice tight fitting screw-on lid that eliminates turn-over accidents and aromas. It is washable and reusable. Nobody can claim they are disgusted with seeing/smelling it. I DO defer to others and hesitate lighting a pipe in company, but they have no logical argument when I'm using smokeless tobacco.
BTW, I have tried those "dissolving" pressed powdered tobac "pills" like Stonewall when I don't feel right smoking or dipping. One held in the cheek lasts for hours, and there's NO SPITTING. You can "sneak" your tobac in otherwise prohibited places!
When it comes to "disgusting", I can't think of anything as foul and odorous as a used pipe cleaner. I deposit mine in the lidded kitchen waste basket which is emptied several times a week.

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
i think the most disgusting sight is a car or pickup with tobacco spit sprayed down the sides where the driver spits out the window.

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
i agree it is the most unpleasant thing i can think of about tobacco.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
Pipe cleaners bug me more than butts -- but I use filterless cigs that I almost always put in the bin (I'm sure I've missed a flick once or twice) and I even have a poket ashtray (it's like a smaller version of an altoids tin and the lid slides on and off rather than popping) for when I'm walking.
I don't have spit tobacco, but people like Jimbo I have no problem with -- people like my mum's boyfriend back when he dipped. .. my great good god that was nasty. Dry snuff is messless (well, almost) thank heaven.
Ultimately people with no manners are the only think I dislike about tobacco -- and every use for tobacco once had a segment of high-society around it governing rules for its politeness (though I think we can all agree the pass it around rules of dry snuff are pointless now, if anything you'd offend people by offering it to them). I follow most of those rules, from where and when I clean or even dump the ash from my pipe, to the fact I even have a pocket ashtray for my cigarettes, and the black handkerchief I keep properly folded in the inside left breast pocket along with the tin of dry snuff.
The only two rules I can think of I never follow are the immediate offer to share (but will happily share if asked, and will not take accommodation for it) and the rule of not smoking cigarettes in front of women.

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
This thread title makes it sound like somebody is fulfilling a community service obligation.

steamtrain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2010
"This thread title makes it sound like somebody is fulfilling a community service obligation. "

Yep been there done that.....

oldjazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2011
Down here in FL. they seem to be sick of the butts to. I was told by a freind from the fishing hole, that he got a $50 fine for tossing a cig. butt. He said, he was told if there is a can near to put it there. I guess he was upset by the fine and questioned if there wasn't a can, then what? He said he was told to just pockeet it then, or receive another fine. I told him he should get a cobb and just dump his ash like me.

I can't stand to see them just toss their butts on the bank, and even worse in the river. "Gives the fish a kick, gets um ta bite!" Is what I was I was told by some fella one day. I left with more on my stinger then he did, so it didn't seem to work for him that day.

oldjazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2011
Oh yeah, and as fall as the juice bottles they don't seem to use those around here. Thats why Hall's hardware and lots of other stores have "No spitting!" signs posted in the lots and on the doors. I've seen some spit on the floors in the store. As well as a girl let her son pee in the corner at Walmart! :evil:

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
community service blows, there's bloody near nothing useful they'll even let you do -- I picked out the united Way for example and they told me it wouldn't count but volenteering at goodwill would *sigh* Luckily we have a Habitat for Humanity and that -does- count.
The only thing that . . . well anyway only thing Carter did right. Heh heh.

steamtrain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2010
Most community service times are three days...The problem is that I tried to do my time at a nursing home that my ladyfreind works at and they said they they would need a week just to train the volunteers....When volunteers screw up the agency is still at fault and to be honest some volunteers are more trouble then they are worth as many need close supervision. When you need something done right hire a professional...when you need bodies call Labor Ready...

Status
Not open for further replies.