PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I think most folks are like myself then, right handed but hold the pipe in the left hand.
Also I think a few posters have come up with why we do this...because lighting and tamping require a certain amount of accuracy, therefore we use our 'handed' hand for the delicate work and our other hand just as a holder.
There's n'owt so fickle as human nature...smoke on boys :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I think most folks are like myself then, right handed but hold the pipe in the left hand.
Also I think a few posters have come up with why we do this...because lighting and tamping require a certain amount of accuracy, therefore we use our 'handed' hand for the delicate work and our other hand just as a holder.
I'm right handed but smoke lefty as well, it leaves my right hand free to run the mouse while I smoke and browse the interwebs.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Never thought about it, but right handed and smoke with pipe in left hand. That leave the dominate hand for lighter and tamper.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
I use both hands, but I dont seem to notice when I switch hands, I am to busy flavoring the tobacco to notice.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I always smoked cigarettes with my left though I'm right handed. I mainly do the same with my pipes but do switch hands as I smoke. I pretty much never under any circumstances did that with my cigarettes. I always use the phone with my left as well. I suspect that is because often I need to write when on the damn thing.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Ambidextrous here. BUT, what seems to be MORE of a deciding factor for me is the sys-config of my teeth. There is an absolutely perfect slot on the left side of my orthodonture that God Him/Her/Itself seems to have created there!! A PERFECT place for clenching, hanging, puffing, whatever! There is not a corresponding slot on the right side... which is horribly disappointing since both the Dr. and the Dentist admonish me, if I MUST smoke the goldang thing, keep it moving to different spots in my mouth to prevent any one spot from being over-assaulted by all those evil chemicals that kill small animals and pre-school children in CA.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
This is like the question "which hand do you use to wipe your butt?" to which the correct answer should be "neither, I use tp".
Lefthanded, although like most lefties living in a right-handed world I do many things righthanded out of forced necessity. Pipesmoking, I tend to hold the pipe in my right hand because I naturally prefer to tamp and light with my left. One reason I like a Zippo as it is equally usable with either hand.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I'm right-handed, but when I'm smoking I'm no-handed. All jokes aside, why is this even an issue, I don't even think about which hand I'm using. I sometimes use my right hand, other times left, and I switch hand often. Say if I need to write something whilst smoking, I'd hold it in my left; and if I need to type, I'd choose a lighter pipe that I can clench.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"All jokes aside, why is this even an issue..."
Shawn, the reason behind my original post was as one who studies human nature and has done so for many years I am fascinated by the minutiae of the human condition...how we do things and why. I wasn't making an 'issue' of it, I merely observed something about myself and wondered why I did this and if others did it too.
I have to say I am quite surprised at the amount of responses and also that the majority of those responses concur.
'People watching' is a great way to understand one's self.
Regards,
Jay.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Right handed. I hold my pipe in my left hand and light with the right. When clenching it's in the left side of my mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.