PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Hmmm. I'd look around. There may be a conservatory with exotic plants that need watering; a basement swimming pool; and an observatory with a telescope. Real estate agents often don't give a complete tour.

We rented a house in Montana once that had a trap door right in the middle of the concrete garage floor. I got to messing around in the basement and found the other side of it by moving a bunch of stuff and a refrigerator. Full blown grow room down there. That was fun.

KafkaStoleMyBike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
Dallas, TX
Sort of like when I found out homes can have heated floors, heated towel racks, and cars can have heated seats.
Cars can have heat now?! The only time my Jeep warms up is when my wife is riding in it yelling at me to buy a new vehicle.

I’m jealous of the garage- we’re in a high-rise and I’m stuck smoking on a windy balcony all winter.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I was expecting to go no you're not an idiot but yeah that's pretty idiotic. Ah everyone has dumb dumb moments.

To be fair, the garage is pretty well inop during the winter. We should park in there, but my truck won’t really fit and this time of year, every time we park my wife’s ride in there everything from the road just melts off of it and I end up with tons of sloppy road grime all over the floor. We pretty much don’t go in there for much during the winter except when we’re grabbing skiing stuff, ice fishing stuff, etc. I’ve historically kept the heat just warm enough to keep stuff from freezing so I don’t pay a huge power bill every month, too. I recently got rid of an upright freezer and the gap it left against the wall caught my eye while I was out there yesterday grabbing some materials for a new ice fishing rod I’m building and the light bulb moment happened.

It was a good night.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
To be fair, the garage is pretty well inop during the winter. We should park in there, but my truck won’t really fit and this time of year, every time we park my wife’s ride in there everything from the road just melts off of it and I end up with tons of sloppy road grime all over the floor. We pretty much don’t go in there for much during the winter except when we’re grabbing skiing stuff, ice fishing stuff, etc. I’ve historically kept the heat just warm enough to keep stuff from freezing so I don’t pay a huge power bill every month, too. I recently got rid of an upright freezer and the gap it left against the wall caught my eye while I was out there yesterday grabbing some materials for a new ice fishing rod I’m building and the light bulb moment happened.

It was a good night.
hey I wasnt the one that started this thread ;)

Mar 1, 2014
I have all of that except the towel racks. It’s about 0F outside right now with close to 40mph of wind and I’m walking on my heated garage floor barefooted.

Two young kids at home so mama’s not a fan of smoking in the house.
You could install a high volume ventilation system to go with your home theater.
With enough air movement you'd probably improve overall air quality in the home while you're smoking, it's just the smell that is never going to be eliminated entirely.

BSticks

Might Stick Around
Nov 22, 2019
Kellogg, MN
Lol @ people that don’t smoke in their own home.

Just kidding. There can be multiple reasons one doesn’t want to smoke in their house. I’ve never heard of a heated garage before, but now I want one. Sort of like when I found out homes can have heated floors, heated towel racks, and cars can have heated seats. One day I will have one of those.
Yeah, I wish I had a heated garage or shed. Unfortunately I'm in a rental, and I'd like my deposit back when I leave in a few months. ?I could set up my ice house though ?

Reactions: kcghost

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Yeah, we have those, too. I’ve gotta find the owners manual or get in touch with the contractor who built the place, though, because they only work in the summer.

‘From what I remember from having them at the car wash I ran was that if you don’t run them the circulation pumps can freeze/un-prime. It’s all vague memories now, but it was something along those lines. We had a dedicated boiler for them. They were a constant problem but pretty miraculous when they worked. Also I’m remembering now something about air locks forming in portions of the pipes. God I don’t miss that job.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
‘From what I remember from having them at the car wash I ran was that if you don’t run them the circulation pumps can freeze/un-prime. It’s all vague memories now, but it was something along those lines. We had a dedicated boiler for them. They were a constant problem but pretty miraculous when they worked. Also I’m remembering now something about air locks forming in portions of the pipes. God I don’t miss that job.

Oh. But I was kidding. Summer = hot.