PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Uguccione

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
Admittedly, the more pipes I acquire the harder it is to decide which one to smoke!
I have 25 and it's my all-time high, but I smoke about 20 of them regularly. I smoke only once a day and not every day. What stops me from buying more (beyond the economic factor) is not so much having the embarrassment of choice on which pipe to use (if only!), but that it becomes difficult - with my rhythms - to smoke them all with the necessary frequency.
In fact, I am of the opinion that a pipe that has been sitting for months does not perform as well as one smoked regularly.

Manawydan

Can't Leave
Apr 24, 2024
Southern California, US
I have 25 and it's my all-time high, but I smoke about 20 of them regularly. I smoke only once a day and not every day. What stops me from buying more (beyond the economic factor) is not so much having the embarrassment of choice on which pipe to use (if only!), but that it becomes difficult - with my rhythms - to smoke them all with the necessary frequency.
In fact, I am of the opinion that a pipe that has been sitting for months does not perform as well as one smoked regularly.
That's interesting. I do try to smoke each of my pipes periodically, but don't stress over it. If I want to smoke the same couple pipes more often than others it's fine. I do think that they all benefit from getting 10-20 bowls through them (at least the briars). I'll have to see what happens if a seasoned pipe sits for months.

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
Glad to see the essays returning, Richard! 😁

I'm also (pleasantly) surprised by your assumption that you'll hit 1,000 pipes! I know there are only a handful of folks in that club but I'm sure that those who are in it are always looking for new members!

By the way, what's the $450 artisan pipe you mentioned?

Reactions: Manawydan

Manawydan

Can't Leave
Apr 24, 2024
Southern California, US
Glad to see the essays returning, Richard! 😁

I'm also (pleasantly) surprised by your assumption that you'll hit 1,000 pipes! I know there are only a handful of folks in that club but I'm sure that those who are in it are always looking for new members!

By the way, what's the $450 artisan pipe you mentioned?
Thanks @AroEnglish -- your previous encouragement was half the reason this got written. :) Counting the two incomings I am 'only' at twenty to date, but I acknowledge that the interest I currently have and seem to be sustaining could easily see that number increasing 10-20x over time. I'm not in a rush to just buy a bunch of pipes. But there are so many wonderful, beautiful, and interesting specimens out there!

I was holding back talking about my incoming pipes until I actually had them in hand, but one of them will be the most expensive pipe I've bought to date -- an LCS Briar 5-star Supergrain Baby Chrysalis. I had an opportunity to snag it at a reduced price during one of Simon's live streams and couldn't resist (even though I had just ordered one of his more traditional pipes). Can't wait to have it, and also to share with the group!

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
Thanks @AroEnglish -- your previous encouragement was half the reason this got written. :) Counting the two incomings I am 'only' at twenty to date, but I acknowledge that the interest I currently have and seem to be sustaining could easily see that number increasing 10-20x over time. I'm not in a rush to just buy a bunch of pipes. But there are so many wonderful, beautiful, and interesting specimens out there!

I was holding back talking about my incoming pipes until I actually had them in hand, but one of them will be the most expensive pipe I've bought to date -- an LCS Briar 5-star Supergrain Baby Chrysalis. I had an opportunity to snag it at a reduced price during one of Simon's live streams and couldn't resist (even though I had just ordered one of his more traditional pipes). Can't wait to have it, and also to share with the group!
Yeah I know exactly what you mean. In one year I went from 8 pipes to nearly 100. I'm (slowly) walking that back down.

That's Simon's highest grade, right? Looking forward to seeing it!

Reactions: Manawydan

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
Every time I see this I'm reminded how glad I am to live in a tobacco friendly community.
Me too.
Every time I tell people I live in NYS, they assume I mean NY City.
But I live about as far from the city as you can get in NY.
Not just geographically, but in every way.
Our community could not be any more LESS like the city......from politics to the people. Our rural community is neighborly and friendly. :)

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
Me too.
Every time I tell people I live in NYS, they assume I mean NY City.
But I live about as far from the city as you can get in NY.
Not just geographically, but in every way.
Our community could not be any more LESS like the city......from politics to the people. Our rural community is neighborly and friendly. :)
That sounds absolutely lovely