PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Having been away from the forum for quite some time, and having no need to order tobacco for even longer, I was heartbroken to hear about McClelland. Their tobaccos were the first ones I fell in love with, and still remain my favorites.
I’ve got quite a large cellar and have had no need to order anything for a long while. I’ve been smoking my McClellands as normal in my rotation, and never thought about the idea of never being able to buy more.
I still have several pounds of McClelland hanging around, but not as much as I would like, especially if my favorites.
Seeing the prices that aged tins are bringing makes it very tempting to sell some of the ones that I rarely smoke. But it’s a conflicting idea, knowing that someday I may have the urge to smoke them, and they won’t be around.
In a way, I’m glad they went out like they did. I wouldn’t want someone taking over the company that didn’t put the time, effort and love into the tobacco like they did, and end up butchering some of the greatest tobacco of all time.
It still saddens me though, and each time I smoke a bowl, as I am at the moment, I’ll know that it’s a small treasure that I’ll never be able to replace.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Every month or two on Forums someone goes into mourning for McClellands blends. I agree that no one should try to match those blends. I'd say to other blenders, just do your own blends taking cues from McClellands as a mentor and example of what could be done, and apply it to your own original blends. McC's were perfectionists and discontinued a blend if the sourced tobacco was not sufficient. Even their tin art was exemplary. I have some unopened tins left and look forward to them. I sure wouldn't sell them. On the other hand, carried too far, this lament is a bit spoiled. For the moment, we are still in the greatest golden age of tobacco blending in terms of quality and variety, not to mention online availability, and there are spectacular blends out there in abundance, so we'd better enjoy that while it lasts, because apparently it won't. Welcome back!

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
Saying a person really misses McClelland is kind of an odd statement in my mind given the vast catalog they had. Everything from orientals to classic red Virginia's etc. I've sure if you have a specific McClellan blend you liked you should be able to find something else you like just as much, albeit not identical. But my two never sell McClelland blends in my cellar are yenidje Highlander and mccranie's red ribbon.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Every month or two on Forums someone goes into mourning for McClellands blends. I agree that no one should try to match those blends. I'd say to other blenders, just do your own blends taking cues from McClellands as a mentor and example of what could be done, and apply it to your own original blends. McC's were perfectionists and discontinued a blend if the sourced tobacco was not sufficient. Even their tin art was exemplary. I have some unopened tins left and look forward to them. I sure wouldn't sell them. On the other hand, carried too far, this lament is a bit spoiled. For the moment, we are still in the greatest golden age of tobacco blending in terms of quality and variety, not to mention online availability, and there are spectacular blends out there in abundance, so we'd better enjoy that while it lasts, because apparently it won't. Welcome back!
I disagree. If someone wants to risk the ire of the absolutist McClelland crowd by making a match blend, then they have the right to do so. They can then leave it up to the market as to whether it is a good blend.

I do agree that there are many good blends out there. I buy them.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Mclelland was gone and unavailable probably 3 months or so before I got into pipe smoking. It was frustrating because a high percentage of the youtube top blend reviews includes mclleland.

I bit the bullet and paid a ridiculous amount for a tin of FMC just to see what the fuss was about. It is damn good - rich, tasty and smooth (its a 2013 tin so Im sure the age doesnt hurt). I smoke a bowl of it every few months as a treat.

However, the more tobaccos I try the more I realize it really isnt a big deal. Still plenty of great tobacco out there - the variety available is astounding.

Reactions: jpmcwjr