PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Ok not really but I’m certainly not the father, ya freaks. As some of you know i feed quite a few different critters daily behind my place, ducks, birds, squirrels, possums, and about 8 raccoons, well seems that’s up to 11 (but it goes to 11) last night one of the regulars brought her youngins for the very first time. She is not large at all so hard to gauge size in the video but they are definitely little guys.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
Neat video, its crazy how people from different parts of the country treat these animals. Squirrels and coons are kill on sight on my property. Squirrels get stacked in the freezer and coons get tossed back in the woods.

Opossums I leave alone considering they are North Americas only marsupial.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: BCF and AJL67

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Neat video, its crazy how people from different parts of the country treat these animals. Squirrels and coons are kill on sight on my property. Squirrels get stacked in the freezer and coons get tossed back in the woods.

Opossums I leave alone considering they are North Americas only marsupial.
Also possums are naturally immune to rabies and eat up to 300 ticks a day including deer ticks, very nice to have around in the woods.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Raccoons are interesting critters. I've had them stick their head under an old floorless ten after food stuffs. At close range they're said to be pretty odoriferous. The Maine Coon breed of cats is named after them, and the Dutch call Raccoons "washing cats," because they wash their food so carefully. I don't think they make good pets, but left wild, as visitors, they can quite charming if they don't pillage the trash. They can eat their weight in cat or dog food if that's left outside. Congratulations Gramps.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Raccoons are interesting critters. I've had them stick their head under an old floorless ten after food stuffs. At close range they're said to be pretty odoriferous. The Maine Coon breed of cats is named after them, and the Dutch call Raccoons "washing cats," because they wash their food so carefully. I don't think they make good pets, but left wild, as visitors, they can quite charming if they don't pillage the trash. They can eat their weight in cat or dog food if that's left outside. Congratulations Gramps.
Interestingly enough raccoons don't actually wash their food, they front feet are basically just feet, unlike a squirrel that uses it's front "hands" to hold and grab things, raccoons use their front feet more like paddles and as they are used to getting food out of streams, they use water to readjust things in their grasp so they can eat it easier, they let the items float a bit in the water and adjust their hold on it, pretty cool actually.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
During a summer camp, something took one of the ASM's day pack. We were all concerned since all his med were in there. About a day's search later, we found it. The pack was intact. Only the main compartment zipper was open, and only thing missing was an apple. Apparently, only raccoons have dexterity fine enough to open, sort, and just take what they want.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
We had a coon get into our shop and somehow int a 150k motor home. Litle turd chewed up a bunch of wires under the dash and sh!t all over the inside over the weekend.
The entire staff went on hunt and cornered him in the rafters. The pdi manager was pissed at the damage he had to now fix and brought out a 22. Got in the lift to execute the lil guy. He missed two shots and Rocky scurrying off hid for another day.

We set some coon traps and the lil bugger was caught at night. But when we got to work the cage was empty! We watched on the security cameras how the door shut and he stuck his lil pays through, and opened the latch to escape.

Set traps again. And put tape on the sides so he couldn't Houdini his way out, got eem!

Pdi manager took him out a few miles intending to end him on a country road. He said Rocky looked at him and locked his sad little eyes to his. Pdi manager couldn't do it. He let him go to find a new family.