PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Hoping everyone in Irene's path is able to get cleared out in plenty of time. Things are replaceable, people are not. You guys and gals in her path know what the precautions are. This bad girl seems like she is going to pack one hell of a punch, even though she is only a borderline Cat 2-3. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I imagine more than a few of us are watching the coverage of Irene as it pounds the East Coast.

It got me to thinking about (The War Department's namesake)... Katrina.
The morning after Katrina made landfall I was working as a Manager Trainee at the Big Kmart in Cullman, AL.

I arrived at work about 6 am to get ready for the day's sales, when I noticed an elderly couple sitting on the curb out-side of the store. Since we didn't open for another couple of hours I went to see if they needed some help.
They had been driving all night and their car had run out of gas about a mile down I-65. They didn't know where they were going, they were just running away from the hurricane. They had walked that mile and the three more to the store. They said that KMart was the only thing that was familiar to them. They were going to ride out the storm, but their daughter had made them leave, and just as they were leaving the bridge over one of the branches of the delta near their home was washed away. It was the only way in or out of that area. Their daughter had stayed because her infant son was in the hospital... They had no news of her. They had gone as far as their car and their funds would take them.
I asked some of the ladies that had just come in to open the snack bar and I sent them to the local grocery and told them to buy the fixing's for a good country breakfast. They were very hungry. As the other's trickled in we pooled our money and bought them a prepaid phone and as much time as we could afford, (they managed to get a call through to their daughter. Their home was a total loss, but the rest of the family was fine. Then my boss came in and gave them a gift card so we could supply them with some clothes and other necessaries that they were unable to gather in their haste to escape. As with any small town, there are regular customers that come in as-sure-as clockwork and they all chipped in and managed a couple of hundred dollars cash for them. One of them worked at the local Red Cross, and arranged shelter.
I syphoned a couple of gallons from my truck and we went and retrieved their car, and I filled it up for them. Another customer took their car to the Goodyear he worked at, and they gave it a full service, fixed a few things including the AC and put a new set of brakes and tires on it for them.
When they arrived the only thing of value they had left was their daughters cell phone number on a piece of paper, and a POS old car.

When they left us for the Red Cross, they had hope.
That was a day I'll never forget.
Keep our fellow pipers and everyone else in the path of Irene in your thoughts, and help if you can.

The personal rewards cannot be measured.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Thank you Jump-Jet, :D

That was just my little piece of huge out pouring...

I've got a feeling, we all will need to chip in again.

I hope that Hobie1dog headed for the hills... He hasn't been on-line lately (that I've seen.)

I know he isn't the only member of our repose of pipers that lives along the Eastern Seaboard... But, I think his home is currently in the bulls-eye.
Baskerville59... Have you ever been to the Cullman Kmart?

You're up that general direction aren't you?

harrier52

Can't Leave
Aug 7, 2011
Gotta love the harriers lol. They dont call em North Carolina Lawn Darts for nothin lol.

harrier52

Can't Leave
Aug 7, 2011
LOL small world i was with VMAQ-4 worked on Prowlers. Initially wanted to work harriers but you know how it goes.

joshy

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2011
I live in Johnston County, NC. It's been steadily raining here for a few hours and the wind keeps picking up but it's nothing too bad just yet. The power flickers every few minutes or so. *shrug*
I know there's some Tornado watches on the coast right now so I really hope nothing comes of that.
Best of luck to everyone on the coast!

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
I'm on the North Shore of Long Island. We are due for a direct hit coming up from the South. My home is on high ground so there is no worry here about a rising tide or a surge. That said, I'm sure my home with more windows than I can count will certainly be tested. We'll see just how tough Andersen makes their windows and if my "guaranteed" new roofing material holds down since it was hurricane nailed. I'm sure my mature landscape will end up in my pool and I'm preparing for the worst and hope for the best. I'll probably lose power so I'll be offline once this hits. It's amazing how calm everything still is now and I'm trying to stay cool enjoying a large oom paul filled with Maltese Falcon. My best to all others in a direct path. I have hurricane insurance and I just hope the Hanover Insurance Co. stays solvent.

Jul 12, 2011
Thanks Baskerville...we are due to get hit Sunday AM, hope we get only the 55Mph winds not the 75Mph ones...last March with 60Mph gusts took us out for about 1-week no power/water in our area and really no access to our house from road due to about 4-6 large Pines down...

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
I am hauling some high security, top secret military equipment to a proving ground on the coast of Maryland. "Can't be late no matter what" are the orders. I'll be driving right into the storm tomorrow. I'll only have to deal with the rain and wind for the most part as the eye should be past that point by the time I get there tomorrow night. Hopefully the roads will be pretty empty and I and the other fellows hauling the rest of this equipment will be the only idiots out in it.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Thank you Jump-Jet, [:D]

That was just my little piece of huge out pouring...

I've got a feeling, we all will need to chip in again.

I hope that Hobie1dog headed for the hills... He hasn't been on-line lately (that I've see
Nope, its been a great sunny day here above Charlotte, as we are 8 hours from the Outer Banks, so other than it being a little windy, the day was glorius here, but what a path this thing is carving up the coast. 8O

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
My thoughts are with you pipetrucker. I do not envy your current load's delivery restrictions. Stay safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.