PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Little fella and me and a friend had a brief nature walk on opening morning (limited time). He did great even if we didn't bring anything home. Three solid, quivering points on hens and same on two roosters that unfortunately took off in directions that required us to spare them, lol. Good news I guess is I didn't have to use any of my "cellar" of shells. He's so much fun to watch and "gets it" more every time out. A pic of him a couple years ago on point over a rooster that was lightly hit and thought he'd snuggled in where he wouldn't be found!

8FDF1AAF-7010-43FD-8B7C-783F4ADAC5CA_1_105_c.jpeg

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Archery opened here on Sept. 18, but I've barely gotten out. I shoot trad, so it's a 25 yd. max proposition. Didn't get a doe tag this year, so it's buck or nothing. Had one of the most impressive I've ever seen, at 25 yds. a couple weeks ago, but he showed up where I wasn't expecting and I didn't get a shot. I have a turkey tag, too, but I know nothing about turkey hunting... it's just in case a turkey decides to offer himself to me while I'm deer hunting ;-)

Reactions: crawdad

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
98822007-6060-4DC6-8857-DF3DA0A56918.jpeg

I took this chunky little 5 point at 4:30 pm on Michigan’s opening day of gun season (Nov. 15). Not one but two of his tines had broken tips, so he was a brawler. Unfortunately, I didn’t see the presumably bigger buck he sparred with. This area has a three points on one side restriction, and I spent about 10 minutes that morning trying to find the third tine on a 2x2 that was hanging out 30 yards from my blind. I had to let him go, and the 5 point was my reward for patience. It’s my first deer in 3 years, so I’m very happy. Looking forward to back straps, sausage sticks, jerky, bigos, chili, and tacos.

Other than the deer, the highlight of the hunt was getting the rare opportunity to watch a screech owl going from tree to tree for a few minutes, up close and personal.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
That is a wonderfull photo. BTW, does the dogs breed normally have a pink nose. My Yellow Lab has one and is sort of rare and referred to as a Dudley Lab.
He's a Ryman (English) Setter - I've never gotten a definite answer but only some have the pink nose color and usually associated with the color "lemon" Belton but breeder says he's an "orange" where you'd normally see a darker nose. So not sure, lemon and orange are my two favorite citruses, lol, so I'll take either! The chestnuts and "blues" have darker black or brown noses.