Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Hoping someone might have a lead on some of the HU tobaccos. Can't seem to find them here in the US online, is their distribution limited to Europe etc. or is it just another one of those hard to obtain blending houses? Thanks.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I've bought from both of those mentioned multiple times, no problems to date. Estervals has much better pricing. You must create an account and be logged in to see the discounted pricing.

Reactions: hawky454

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I'm in Germany (although American) and can't speak for their international shipping but I've had good experience ordering from Esterval's Pipe House. I'd recommend looking at both HU tobacco, which is excellent, and other blends that may not be available in America or may be more expensive there.

Reactions: hawky454

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I second Esterval’s. That’s where I get all my HU tobaccos. They often have flash sales where you can get a lot of great stuff at great prices. The last haul I was able to buy Salty Dogs at $6.60 a plug! The site can be a bit tricky at first, you have to register (free) before you can add anything to your cart. But you can view the site in English and US currency. They have a flat rate shipping so the more ya buy the better the deal.

Reactions: 3rdguy and dmcmtk

tozert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2017
Cornwall
I have loads of HU for sale, from the UK. Not every blend, but most of the popular ones.

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
By the way - as all of those are German vendors, prices will be the same, because here, we have tobacco prices which are set by law. Off course shipping costs may vary.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
By the way - as all of those are German vendors, prices will be the same, because here, we have tobacco prices which are set by law. Off course shipping costs may vary.
It's 10.73 Euros at Estrevals and 13.60 Euros at pfeifendepot.

I always order from Estrevals, I have never tried pfeifendepot.

Reactions: burleyboy

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
View attachment 2263
It's 10.73 Euros at Estrevals and 13.60 Euros at pfeifendepot.

I always order from Estrevals, I have never tried pfeifendepot.

That‘s because they have old lots. Taxes get increased and vendors sell their old lots for old prices until they get the new lots.

Edit: So, lower prices indicate, that the tins got more age on them. Sorry for the imprecise info.

Reactions: dmcmtk

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Estervals is great. But if it’s your first time ordering from them please note that it may take 3-4 weeks to arrive. And there is no tracking during this time. The order kind of goes dark and you get nervous after a couple of weeks. Then one day it shows up and all is well.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Estervals is great. But if it’s your first time ordering from them please note that it may take 3-4 weeks to arrive. And there is no tracking during this time. The order kind of goes dark and you get nervous after a couple of weeks. Then one day it shows up and all is well.

Neil, that may have been something else. The shipment time for my first order took a similar amount of time as subsequent orders. It did take Estervals 2 or 3 days to set up my account so the elapsed time was slightly longer.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I got in on that Salty Dogs for 6.60 a plug. Even at regular prices it is usually cheaper there if you order enough for the shipping to work.
Awesome, I'm glad to hear someone else got that deal too! I didn't even realize they were having a sale, I just stumbled on there and voila. And yes, that is where I always buy my Salty Dogs because even at their regular price, it's much cheaper than buying it in the States and it's always in stock (at least every time I've looked). I love Esterval's! They have great CS as well. They often have amazing sales on the HU tobaccos as well so if you're patient you can get some amazing deals.

Reactions: 3rdguy

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
This is good to note and something that I noticed on my latest order. It took a long time to get here. I think this has something to do with the customs as I remember it being quite a short wait when I first started ordering from them in 2015/2016. All things aside, the wait is totally worth it.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Of course Burleboy is correct about tobacco prices being set by law in Germany. Tobacco can not be sold for more or less than the price set by the manufacturer. That price is actually on the tax strip.

It is peculiar that some of you were able to buy deeply discounted tobacco. Perhaps sales to other countries are not subject to the German tobacco price law, or, like Burleyboy suggested, it is old stock from a time when the price was lower.

Reactions: burleyboy

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
FYI Follow Up.

I ordered from Estervals the other day and the packaged cleared U.S. customs in 8 days. That is much improved from prior shipments. So I've now seen 3-4 weeks and also 1-2 weeks time frame.

Moral of the story: Be patient, if you order they will come. But remember, while it's in transit the tracking number goes dark and can't be tracked until U.S. customs releases the package.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
“So I've now seen 3-4 weeks and also 1-2 weeks time frame.“

i have been mostly in the 2 week time frame with Estervals. As far as how fast DHL can be, I ordered this on Monday from Danish Pipe Shop and it arrived today.

Reactions: SpookedPiper
Status
Not open for further replies.