HU Retailer That Also Ships Snuff to US of A?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
yeah the bespoke is great and it's amazing how quickly you can get them like a little bit over two weeks and if you can't afford the whole thing find someone else who wants the same snuff or a few others and mix the cost. And if you get Fribourg & Treyer get them from toque cause that's the only place to get the big tins which are way better in every way. And those are the legit primo snuff.
Got a couple on the way - Bordeaux and Princes Special. I already have a small tin of High Dry Toast which is decent, but a bit monochromatic. I read the scant reviews available on the rest - are there any other standouts I should put in the hopper for my next order? Floral is one thing, but it sounded like some of the blends are like smelling Grandma.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
Got a couple on the way - Bordeaux and Princes Special. I already have a small tin of High Dry Toast which is decent, but a bit monochromatic. I read the scant reviews available on the rest - are there any other standouts I should put in the hopper for my next order? Floral is one thing, but it sounded like some of the blends are like smelling Grandma.

I use to really enjoy Bordeaux, when I first tried it it blew me away than I blew my nose. Going to have to revisit that.

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
their HDT is far from monochromatic but very subtle. And pretty much any of the F&T are strongly Grandma. My favorite is Macouba that one is just divine and very hard to put down.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Try some 6photo snuffs when you're feeling risky.
Any you'd recommend? Snuff is new to me and a bit of an enigma. I've been a cigar smoker for over 15 years and prefer Cubans with Dominicans in a distant second. Definitely nothing flavored. I'm new to pipe tobacco, but do not like aromatics. Snuff? Poschl Packard's Club is my favorite by a country mile with SG Golden Glow coming in second. I can appreciate Toque Spanish Gem and F&T High Dry T, but the medicated sniffs are what ring my bell - probably because of the route of administration.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Any you'd recommend? Snuff is new to me and a bit of an enigma. I've been a cigar smoker for over 15 years and prefer Cubans with Dominicans in a distant second. Definitely nothing flavored. I'm new to pipe tobacco, but do not like aromatics. Snuff? Poschl Packard's Club is my favorite by a country mile with SG Golden Glow coming in second. I can appreciate Toque Spanish Gem and F&T High Dry T, but the medicated sniffs are what ring my bell - probably because of the route of administration.
for me I like florals and plain snuffs. My favorite is smokey kentucky with Sambac Jasmine. It's great and inspired by a latakia snuff from ages ago. The medicated snuffs I like the best are Alpina which has a berry scent as well as medicated, Zweifacher which is a half snuff half smalzar but all good. With snuff the only real advice is try things and see what rings your bell. That said the few snuffs I hated where Packards Club toque peanut butter and toque ginger. Just all of them are gross to me.

• Haha
Reactions: pantsBoots
Jan 27, 2020

Well, first I would say wait to receive your package and if you think snuff has a place in your heart the following are some which I recommend ordering next to get a whiff of something different: The 6photo sampler, HDT (as anotherBob mentioned), maybe a Taxi snuff (I really liked those), the Gawaith original, something from Rosinski, and Toque Ambrosia.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
for me I like florals and plain snuffs. My favorite is smokey kentucky with Sambac Jasmine. It's great and inspired by a latakia snuff from ages ago. The medicated snuffs I like the best are Alpina which has a berry scent as well as medicated, Zweifacher which is a half snuff half smalzar but all good. With snuff the only real advice is try things and see what rings your bell. That said the few snuffs I hated where Packards Club toque peanut butter and toque ginger. Just all of them are gross to me.
Man, I didn't think I'd like menthol snuffs, but that Packard's was like walking into a barbershop in the winter. I can't keep off it!

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Well, first I would say wait to receive your package and if you think snuff has a place in your heart the following are some which I recommend ordering next to get a whiff of something different: The 6photo sampler, HDT (as anotherBob mentioned), maybe a Taxi snuff (I really liked those), the Gawaith original, something from Rosinski, and Toque Ambrosia.
Got some Taxi red after reading about its strength (former cigarette smoker here), but so far it hasn't given me the woozy woos. Toque Ambrosia is already inbound. Thank you for the recommendations!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Got some Taxi red after reading about its strength (former cigarette smoker here), but so far it hasn't given me the woozy woos. Toque Ambrosia is already inbound. Thank you for the recommendations!
yeah I never got that from the South African snuffs. The strength is really because you can put a whole mess of it up your nose at a time and then get a good nic buzz that lasts long for snuff so not really that impressive if you ask me. If you want something strong get rustica and grind it yourself or white snuff which is really finely ground like dust fine and made out of rustica.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
yeah I never got that from the South African snuffs. The strength is really because you can put a whole mess of it up your nose at a time and then get a good nic buzz that lasts long for snuff so not really that impressive if you ask me. If you want something strong get rustica and grind it yourself or white snuff which is really finely ground like dust fine and made out of rustica.
I grow rustica and have a jar of this year's batch. Since being new to pipes, I've been debating how to process the leaf - might grind some up as well!

Snuff is made from the stems, which have way more nicotine in them than the actual leaf. I wouldn't bother even using the leaf in snuff.
Even the stems on Virginias have a powerful punch of nicotine. I used to cut the stems into little sections and chew on them till I got light headed. And, when I would destem my crop, I would send them to a friend who made them into snuff or something. I'm not sure exactly how he did it. But, I would think that drying them out really well would be the first step.

Jan 27, 2020

I don't recall which snuffs they were but I had some really bad spinning moments when I over did snuff with alcohol...but I don't believe it was Taxi. I think Taxi is too coarsely ground to be over absorbed but that's just my guess.

Jan 27, 2020
Snuff is made from the stems, which have way more nicotine in them than the actual leaf. I wouldn't bother even using the leaf in snuff.
Even the stems on Virginias have a powerful punch of nicotine. I used to cut the stems into little sections and chew on them till I got light headed. And, when I would destem my crop, I would send them to a friend who made them into snuff or something. I'm not sure exactly how he did it. But, I would think that drying them out really well would be the first step.

That's interesting as many of the snuffers whose posts I would read were former smokers and claimed they rarely got a buzz from snuff which was the opposite of my experience as a non-smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.