PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
My name's NicFit, welcome to my tobacco autobiography. I have been browsing these forums for a bit and decided to make an account. I saw the millennial post and unfortunately fit in to that demographic statistically, seeing as I'm 37. I mainly browsed the pipe tobacco subreddit but there's very little activity.

I'm from Ohio and regrettably stuck living in Louisiana. I spent 10 years in the Army as an Infantryman which is where my tobacco consumption took off. By the end of my time in I was smoking between 2-4 packs of menthols a day and dipping copenhagen whenever the mood struck. Needles to say, I woke up hacking daily and felt generally miserable. I decided I wanted to quit smoking cigarettes but I really really enjoyed my nicotine.

I decided to try vaping and pipe tobacco. I can't recall why I originally thought about pipe tobacco, other than I really enjoy the taste of tobacco and knew it didn't involve inhaling. After some YouTube exploration and finding ol' MuttonchopPiper I ended up buying a Savinelli 9mm bent apple from a B&M and some tins. Around the same time I purchased some vape devices and various juices.

Due to the time consumption of pipes and the exponentially superior nicotine delivery system of vapes, I found myself happily chain vaping, smoking my new pipe maybe 3 times a week at the end of a day. The vape devices really did the trick to get me off of cigarettes. I enjoyed the pipe but it wasn't my immediate solution.

Fast forward a few years, I'm on a road trip, chain vaping to stay awake. Long story short, I'm pretty sure I got a chemical burn on my throat from the damn vape. I was really having issues swallowing, almost choking a few times. Needless to say, I quit vaping cold turkey.

I ended up maintaining a constant stream of nicotine lozenges and nicotine toothpicks in my mouth for months. Finally, I decided to revisit my tobacco pipe. I found my life a little less busy and I had the time and will to properly enjoy it.

Within the past month I've found a real connection with pipe smoking. I don't find the need to have a constant stream of nicotine anymore. I don't even smoke my pipe for the nicotine, I hardly notice that aspect honestly(other than my morning pipe with coffee). The taste of the tobacco and the relaxation aspect make all other forms of tobacco seem so shallow. I've bought countless 1oz bulk blends and almost as many tins. I haven't gotten to try them all yet but so far my favorites are Samuel Gawith's Firedance Flake and C&D's Autumn Evening. I'm still figuring everything out but I look forward to making this a life-long hobby and getting to know everyone around here.
Welcome Nicfit.

"knew it didn't involve inhaling" Huh?

A lot more pipe smokers inhale than those who admit to it.
It's how I finally got off the dreaded cigarettes. 30-40 cigs a day for 35 years.

Not that I inhale every puff. Inhaling is part of the enjoyment.

Most of my blends are mild, some mild to medium, with mild nicotine.
Interesting that you don't notice the nicotine in Firedance [mild to medium nic]

Since switching to a pipe it's really changed my smoking habits and I'm smoking way less.
Best of all is that I can go many hours without and not crave.
I've not had a cigarette in over eleven years and have no desire for one.

NicFit

Lurker
May 27, 2021
"knew it didn't involve inhaling" Huh?

A lot more pipe smokers inhale than those who admit to it.
It's how I finally got off the dreaded cigarettes. 30-40 cigs a day for 35 years.

Not that I inhale every puff. Inhaling is part of the enjoyment.

To each their own I guess? I have zero desire to inhale.

Status
Not open for further replies.