PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThirtyCal

Lurker
Jan 1, 2021
A Texan just starting to explore the world of pipes. My interest stems from a pipe I am restoring my stepfather owned. It is a Savinelli Oscar 614 Oom Paul. It went through a hurricane including being submerged in salt water and other things. The bowl is in really good shape with just a few rust stains. The stem however needs to be replaced so looking for one of those now. I washed it but will leave the stains as they give it an interesting story.

I am only looking to smoke causally around the camp fire and such. Unfortunately I have a nicotine allergy that causes headaches (smoke is not an issue). So I will be exploring the herbal tobaccos that are nicotine free. Hopefully finding something that is not to floral and similar to pipe tobacco.

Any suggestions for the herbal tobacco or replacement pipe stem would be greatly appreciated.

ThirtyCal

Lurker
Jan 1, 2021
The bit of the stem is broken off. So I need to find a stem that will fit. Haven't been able to find any bent stems that will fit. I may have to get a straight stem and bend it myself with a heat gun. No pictures but it is similar to this one https://www.etsy.com/listing/829498391/savinelli-oscar-614-aged-briar-original

Rusticated and shooting star stem. I sent a message to Savinelli and they recommended a restoration company. I want to do it myself.

I know not many here will have experience with tobacco alternatives but not many of the people that only smoked herbal tobacco have any experience with real tobacco. I also am not interested in the "herbs are life" or weed crowd. I guess I will order a few sample packs out there and just see what I like. Was hoping to get a don't try this one at least.

Reactions: kurtbob

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
Greetings from the Cayman Islands! Feel free to share photos of the pipe. Sorry to hear about your allergy, I am not familiar with herbal blends, unfortunately.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Below is a thread from 2018 where someone mentions removing nicotine from pipe tobacco using distilled water...you may want to try and find that video he/she mentions. I'm not sure how effective this would be with complicated blends, so you may want to try it out first with something basic like Bright Virginia Ribbon from Cornell and Diehl; this tobacco also has a naturally low nicotine content to begin with. Whether this process removes all of the nicotine or not, I don't know but it may remove enough that it's tolerable.

Removing nicotine thread

Oh, and welcome from NC

ThirtyCal

Lurker
Jan 1, 2021
LDG is who Savinelli recommended. They are kind of my last resort. I would rather try my self first.

I have never tested my tolerance for nicotine. I just know that second hand cigarette smoke gives me a headache. I may try a very low nicotine tobacco with a filter. This and not inhaling may be enough to keep my allergy at bay. Especially not inhaling and only occasionally smoking a bowl.

Maybe recommending a low nicotine tobacco is more suitable for this group than alternatives.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Most of the OTC blends are fairly low in nic content, try Carter Hall, Half and Half or maybe Prince Albert.
Also if you go to Tobaccoreviews.com you can see in the reviews what the nic content is for individual blends.
Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you!

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Welcome from SE Georgia! Try Grandfathers spirit website for herbal smoking mixtures, I buy some twist tobacco from them. I remember seeing a butt load on there

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
LDG is who Savinelli recommended. They are kind of my last resort. I would rather try my self first.

I have never tested my tolerance for nicotine. I just know that second hand cigarette smoke gives me a headache. I may try a very low nicotine tobacco with a filter. This and not inhaling may be enough to keep my allergy at bay. Especially not inhaling and only occasionally smoking a bowl.

Maybe recommending a low nicotine tobacco is more suitable for this group than alternatives.
cigs give you a headache with all the things added to them it could be literally almost anything that gives you the headache or allergy. I'll put it this way I remember in pathology class there was a super rare bladder cancer that only two groups get. People who work in factories that make a specific industrial solvent used very sparingly and in a few industry and occasionally some smokers.... I had a light bulb moment. So when I got home I looked up chemicals found in cigs and guess what was on that insanely huge list? Of course it was that chemical. My point is there are some messed up things in cigs. Fortunately pipe tobacco doesn't really have many additives. Oh it's got additives but they're pretty much food grade additives.

Status
Not open for further replies.