PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

estate_cob

Lurker
Jun 21, 2024
Albany, NY
New pipe smoker in the upstate NY area around Schenectady/Albany. I got a basket briar with no markings and a few ounces of Sutliff 1M and MacBaren VA #1, and I've smoked maybe 5-6 bowls. Enjoying it so far, but I feel like there's a bit of a learning curve with these.

My dad worked in primary production for Brown & Williamson, so I've always loved the smell of raw and just-treated tobacco. First car I could use as a teenager was his old work truck, and it reeked of the stuff. That's what draws me to pipe smoking--it seems like the purest way to experience tobacco. I was a cigarette smoker in college, and was quite fond of Dunhill Reds, which to my knowledge was straight Virginia, hence VA #1 (which I've since learned is divisive) as a first blend.

Sig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
Welcome from Upstate NY.........just a bit West of you.
MacBaren VA#1 is my all time favorite tobacco.
It CAN be a tough one for new pipers due to tongue bite.
Some things I've heard about Va#1 are.....lava, burning hell, flame thrower, licking an iron......
But, some people do not get this reaction, I never have.....really bad. :)
If you have been smoking it, you should know if its gonna bite you by now.
There are a bunch of good "pure" Virginia tobaccos out there that will not bite like MacBaren blends. Cornell & Dhiel "Yorktown" is pretty good. As is their "Virginia Gentleman". Both can be bought in bulk and are relatively inexpensive.
One of many peoples favorite ways to enjoy Virginia tobacco is in Flake form.
Because Virginia has a more subtle flavor, when its compressed into flakes, it tends to be more flavorful.

seabee1999

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2019
Norman, OK
Welcome from Oklahoma! Used to go to college further north of you, closer to the Pottersville/Schroon Lake area. Miss Upstate NY dearly! It’s quite beautiful!

estate_cob

Lurker
Jun 21, 2024
Albany, NY
Welcome from Upstate NY.........just a bit West of you.
MacBaren VA#1 is my all time favorite tobacco.
It CAN be a tough one for new pipers due to tongue bite.
Some things I've heard about Va#1 are.....lava, burning hell, flame thrower, licking an iron......
But, some people do not get this reaction, I never have.....really bad. :)
If you have been smoking it, you should know if its gonna bite you by now.
There are a bunch of good "pure" Virginia tobaccos out there that will not bite like MacBaren blends. Cornell & Dhiel "Yorktown" is pretty good. As is their "Virginia Gentleman". Both can be bought in bulk and are relatively inexpensive.
One of many peoples favorite ways to enjoy Virginia tobacco is in Flake form.
Because Virginia has a more subtle flavor, when its compressed into flakes, it tends to be more flavorful.
I've actually had more issues with the 1M in terms of tongue bite. I mean, both are challenging, and I'm sure my technique isn't great. I think I go into the VA expecting tongue bite, so maybe I'm more careful. Plus it has a stronger tobacco taste, so I'm not wondering whether it's still lit as much. 50/50 was also pretty good.

Reactions: Sig