PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Fuelman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2024
Indiana
Soooo I just posted a big wall of text without properly introducing myself. Knew I should've introduced myself a while back. Here's my backstory.

After college, I enlisted in the Marines and during my first deployment to Iraq (2005), I had this company first sergeant who always had a red bull in one hand and a pipe in the other. We always wondered how the heck the man got pipe tobacco in country like that. (In hindsight, my guess is he was somehow getting codger blend pouches secretly mailed to him by his wife!) Anyway, that man was inspiring as hell, always checking in on us while we stood post or had just finished doing a sweeping house-to-house op, and to see him rallying the boys with a pipe clenched in his mouth.

I got medically retired due to injuries from an IED in 2012 in Afghanistan (I blame the dog!) and had to cut cigarette and dip out of my life since, you know, I knew I couldn't do much cardio for the rest of my life. I've always loved tobacco but for some reason, it took me 12 years before I finally got around to considering pipe smoking. So I went on Amazon, found a purdy pipe from some Chinese company called Muxiang, and tried some crusty blend that smelled good from my local B&M. I had no idea what I was doing so that weekend, I went on YouTube and came across Muttnchop Piper's videos. Needless to say, like many of us newbies, I ended up watching hundreds of videos from him and others on everything I could get my hands on. Loved the pipe smoking community since then and found forums like this to get more info.

Mostly find myself lurking in the Market section cus I'm in love with the art/craft of pipe smoking, not just the tobacco. But well aware of the rules, so I just look longingly. And uh... PAD and TAD are real, much to my wife's and wallet's dismay. In two and a half months, I've acquired 9 Savinellis, 1 Peterson, 4 cobs, and 55 tobaccos 💀

Thanks for the warm welcome despite my lack of posts! Can't promise I'll interact often, but I'm definitely here daily!
Welcome from Indiana. There is no cure for PAD or TAD. We can only get relief now and again with every purchase.

Reactions: wanderer0311

WilliamZ

Lurker
May 22, 2024
Soooo I just posted a big wall of text without properly introducing myself. Knew I should've introduced myself a while back. Here's my backstory.

After college, I enlisted in the Marines and during my first deployment to Iraq (2005), I had this company first sergeant who always had a red bull in one hand and a pipe in the other. We always wondered how the heck the man got pipe tobacco in country like that. (In hindsight, my guess is he was somehow getting codger blend pouches secretly mailed to him by his wife!) Anyway, that man was inspiring as hell, always checking in on us while we stood post or had just finished doing a sweeping house-to-house op, and to see him rallying the boys with a pipe clenched in his mouth. By the way, speaking of colleges - If you're juggling studies and need some support, Edubirdie https://edubirdie.com/accounting-homework-help offers great resources like their accounting homework help.

I got medically retired due to injuries from an IED in 2012 in Afghanistan (I blame the dog!) and had to cut cigarette and dip out of my life since, you know, I knew I couldn't do much cardio for the rest of my life. I've always loved tobacco but for some reason, it took me 12 years before I finally got around to considering pipe smoking. So I went on Amazon, found a purdy pipe from some Chinese company called Muxiang, and tried some crusty blend that smelled good from my local B&M. I had no idea what I was doing so that weekend, I went on YouTube and came across Muttnchop Piper's videos. Needless to say, like many of us newbies, I ended up watching hundreds of videos from him and others on everything I could get my hands on. Loved the pipe smoking community since then and found forums like this to get more info.

Mostly find myself lurking in the Market section cus I'm in love with the art/craft of pipe smoking, not just the tobacco. But well aware of the rules, so I just look longingly. And uh... PAD and TAD are real, much to my wife's and wallet's dismay. In two and a half months, I've acquired 9 Savinellis, 1 Peterson, 4 cobs, and 55 tobaccos 💀

Thanks for the warm welcome despite my lack of posts! Can't promise I'll interact often, but I'm definitely here daily!
Hi there! I`m new here too! Your story is really inspiring, and it's great to have you here. The transition from military life to finding a peaceful hobby like pipe smoking is fascinating. Your experience with the first sergeant and his pipe sounds like it left a lasting impression, and it’s awesome to see that it eventually led you to pick up the hobby yourself.

Last edited:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hi there! I`m new here too! Your story is really inspiring, and it's great to have you here. The transition from military life to finding a peaceful hobby like pipe smoking is fascinating. Your experience with the first sergeant and his pipe sounds like it left a lasting impression, and it’s awesome to see that it eventually led you to pick up the hobby yourself.
Hello, William-

How bout starting your own intro in this very thread? Likes- tobacco, pipes, where you live, etc.