PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

wanderer0311

Lurker
May 6, 2024
Bethesda, MD
Soooo I just posted a big wall of text without properly introducing myself. Knew I should've introduced myself a while back. Here's my backstory.

After college, I enlisted in the Marines and during my first deployment to Iraq (2005), I had this company first sergeant who always had a red bull in one hand and a pipe in the other. We always wondered how the heck the man got pipe tobacco in country like that. (In hindsight, my guess is he was somehow getting codger blend pouches secretly mailed to him by his wife!) Anyway, that man was inspiring as hell, always checking in on us while we stood post or had just finished doing a sweeping house-to-house op, and to see him rallying the boys with a pipe clenched in his mouth.

I got medically retired due to injuries from an IED in 2012 in Afghanistan (I blame the dog!) and had to cut cigarette and dip out of my life since, you know, I knew I couldn't do much cardio for the rest of my life. I've always loved tobacco but for some reason, it took me 12 years before I finally got around to considering pipe smoking. So I went on Amazon, found a purdy pipe from some Chinese company called Muxiang, and tried some crusty blend that smelled good from my local B&M. I had no idea what I was doing so that weekend, I went on YouTube and came across Muttnchop Piper's videos. Needless to say, like many of us newbies, I ended up watching hundreds of videos from him and others on everything I could get my hands on. Loved the pipe smoking community since then and found forums like this to get more info.

Mostly find myself lurking in the Market section cus I'm in love with the art/craft of pipe smoking, not just the tobacco. But well aware of the rules, so I just look longingly. And uh... PAD and TAD are real, much to my wife's and wallet's dismay. In two and a half months, I've acquired 9 Savinellis, 1 Peterson, 4 cobs, and 55 tobaccos 💀

Thanks for the warm welcome despite my lack of posts! Can't promise I'll interact often, but I'm definitely here daily!

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
Thanks everyone!

Thanks @PaulRVA ! I lived in Alexandria for several years but moved up to MD during the pandemic. I just learned about CORPS the other day! Are you part of that club?
Im not part of the club as the meetings are too far away to be a convenient drive time. I’m half way between Richmond & Charlottesville
I will make the show this year though in September down in Petersburg. I Spent some time in Alexandria myself in my Army days 30 years ago and love Old Town.
What part of Maryland are you in ?

Reactions: dottlejockey

wanderer0311

Lurker
May 6, 2024
Bethesda, MD
Im not part of the club as the meetings are too far away to be a convenient drive time. I’m half way between Richmond & Charlottesville
I will make the show this year though in September down in Petersburg. I Spent some time in Alexandria myself in my Army days 30 years ago and love Old Town.
What part of Maryland are you in ?
Thanks for your own service sir!

I live in Bethesda, MD. (Not in the city but the suburbs.) I take my kids Richmond and Williamsburg often for the history. Not to mention the battlefields like Fredericksburg.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: PaulRVA

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
Thanks for your own service sir!

I live in Bethesda, MD. (Not in the city but the suburbs.) I take my kids Richmond and Williamsburg often for the history. Not to mention the battlefields.
Haha, being stationed in Newport News as well years ago we are actually considering a second home in Williamsburg as a getaway.
Great area with plenty to do for everyone.

Reactions: wanderer0311

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome from California!

Please
put your location in your Profile!
Why: It will save time for others when you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc.
How: Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down.