PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I've often wondered how pipe smokers value their pipes. I don't mean how much they're worth in dollars, rather how emotionally attached the owner is to them.

I've told my wife that if the house caught on fire I would make sure she was safe, then our two cats, then my pipes. (not necessasarily in that order) puffy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I value my pipes to the degree that I have seriously thought of stashing groups of them around with others to guard against theft or fire. I have spent weeks buying even some of my moderately priced pipes, and I have culled about four times, so what is left is pretty much pipes I enjoy. Most of mine are far from collector grade, but I've invested a lot of thought and a certain amount of money. And there tend to be stories around each one. They are not family, pets, or friends, but they are an archive of memories.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
This is a good question.

What are the various criteria for subjective attachment, and how are they weighted/prioritized?

I'll be very interested to hear others' answers.

For me, the deepest attachment is to pipes that my wife and children gave me as presents.
These are NOT my finest pipes, by objective standards. These are mostly inexpensive factory pipes. TBH, a couple of them don't smoke wonderfully. But these are infinitely more valuable to me than the finest artisan pipes I bought myself. If the house were burning and I had to save some pipes and not others, I'd save these gifts from wife and kids and let my finer pipes burn.

My second tier of emotional attachment is to pipes that my kids are particularly fond of and have expressed interest in inheriting someday. A couple of my kids have just really latched on to this or that pipe, in terms of their own aesthetic preferences. I'd prioritize keeping those around, for them.

A close third would be gifts from non family members. Friends.

Fourth tier would be my best smokers.

Fifth tier would be visual aesthetic preference.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I have a few pipes that have some emotional value but that's because it directly from the carver but if my house is on fire I'd get the cat out first, then the wife and to hell with the rest of it.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Laurent

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
My pipes have no emotional value to me. I like my pipes and they treat me well, but most are not high dollar pipes. I am an "average man" with "average man" pipes. My pipes are a tool I use to smoke tobacco. I appreciate them as a piece of art, but mostly they are a tool that I use. Their value is in how well they work. Luckily I have acquired a good batch of smokers.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Yesterday, I smoked a cob. I probably spent less then $10. I also have a commissioned meer, from a friend, around $150. Most of my pipes are around $50, or less.
But, I don't value them by their cost or present value. I value them by the memories of the pipe. This pipe was made by Ryan or Ishmael. I got this pipe at one of the slow smoke contest. I made this pipe at a pipe making seminar at one of the Chicago Pipe Shows.
I plan to sell some pipes that I simply don't use.

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
I have to agree with @SBC, some of my pipes I just bought offline and I guess don’t have much of a connection. Pipes I bought from local B&M that come with a story, I feel attached to but, I wouldn’t say emotionally. If I had time to save them in a fire, I would. I have my grandpas bubble leveler that he built his house with, that’s a emotional attachment. But, as my collection grows, and stories and history form with my pipes, that all could change for sure.

Milleniumsmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2020
Vietnam
I think it depends. I know I had more attachment to my first pipe, which sadly burnt out. With current pipes it sort of depends. I had a nice Nording Hunter pipe that helped me get through some tough times, that was a nice pipe. I currently have a meerschaum that I use so I can smoke multiple bowls. I'm looking at getting a nicer one that I want to color. I would probably have more attachment to that than the current one, even though the one I have is nice. I don't have a lot of access to pipes that I can easily buy. If I order and ship one, it's one that I have to be 100% certain about, but I am an exception in that aspect.

shane1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2014
Connecticut, USA
Im not really emotionally attached but I have narrowed down my favorites based on enjoyment. Maybe a little attachment now that I reflect but they can all be replaced.

Reactions: Laurent

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm emotionally attached to the friendship of the carvers that made my pipes and the memories involved during their process of being carved but no attachment to the objects themselves.

Reactions: Laurent