PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
kirfegen,
These hold almost exactly a tin's worth of tobacco and if you tighten them nicely, the tobacco will keep more or less indefinitely.
I like to have lots of blends going at once, so as soon as I open a tin, I dump into one of these.
HALF PINT MASON JARS
They can be found from lots of retailers online, and Target seems to have them in stock at the stores in the kitchen sections.

mrwestminster

Lurker
Sep 12, 2016
Slight digression: I've never figured out why hermetic jars are not considered a viable option. Mine always seem to seal just fine. I can't compare them to mason jars... They are impossible to find here in Europe.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Slidell, LA
Slight digression: I've never figured out why hermetic jars are not considered a viable option. Mine always seem to seal just fine. I can't compare them to mason jars... They are impossible to find here in Europe.
Beats me. I have three hermetic jars I use for tobacco I smoke on a regular basis and nothing has dried out. You do have to make sure the seals are soft and pliable through. If they get hard and cracked they don't seal.

May 4, 2015
I find those bail flip-top jars (I'm assuming that's what you mean) are many times more expensive than mason jars. I only use one - a biggish one - for my pound of Carter Hall.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I've grown to really like the simplicity and convenience of the resealable pain type tins used by HU Tobacco. They seal tight and protect against light as well. I'm curious what these things cost in bulk. I could make nice little labels and they stack perfectly. Anyone try this? I'm guessing this could be cheaper than glass.
EDIT: just looked online. They run $1.44/per for 1 pint tins with sealable lid. $1.40 if you buy 500+ :)

May 4, 2015
You're confident they're air tight after they're opened?
They seem like a paint can design, so I'd think they're nearly air tight if not completely, but long-term I wouldn't feel 100% confident. Maybe, though.
Obviously, as you found out, they aren't cheaper than mason jars but may have other benefits like you said. I store all my glass for cellaring in black Tupperware bins for the light issue but it would be cool to have some out with labels on them.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Resealable tins would be great, but I have the same concern as pipesmokingtom about really long-term viability.
Canning jars are a bit heavy, and the little flat ones don't stack terribly well. So an alternative would be nice. But my experiene is that they WORK so I'm reluctant to change. That seal is very certain.
By the way, kirfegen, as you can see, you are entering a pastime where ENDLESS conversation is possible about the seemingly most simple things. Which, of course, is part of the fun.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
The more I think about it and the more I mess with them, I'm 99.99% certain these would age just fine. Anyone think of a way I could test to know for certain? I suspect light breaks down tobacco as well. Darkness is good for aging.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Put 1/2 cup water and a block of dry ice inside one, and seal it up tight. If it contains the resultant pressure with only slight bulging, you're good to go.
I'm kidding, of course. DO NOT do that.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
You guys are crude. I'm gonna keep this professional. I entered my lab with the tin and attempted to fill it with homemade methane. During the production process the gas seemed to have been inadvertently mixed with fluids and particulate matter. Long story short, I'm on my way to Cos's place with a sealed tin of... methane, digestive juices, corn, and brown coloring. I might be feeling good about these tins OR I might just be feeling good having desposed of my waste product :)

You guys started it.

Status
Not open for further replies.