PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
You can use a golf tee, or a clothes pin, a mini screwdriver, or your finger. Just lightly tap your ash with one of these.
OH!?!....you said stamp....my bad.

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
Eric,

If you are new to pipemaking,you should sign up on this forum, where there is a wealth of information:

http://www.pipemakersforum.com/forum/index.php

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes :puffy:

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
+1 What Dan said- check out Pipemakers forum….You've never experienced the depths of despair until you're stamping pipes early one morning before leaving for a pipe show and you completely destroy the pipe by either double stamping, mis-stamping, or breaking the pipe….
The short version of how stamping is done is by using a metal stamp from an engraving company- I used Buckeye Engraving. Not sure I would recommend my technique- I use a 3lb hammer to tap the stamp while Greta holds the pipe in place. I'll be redesigning the stamp to one that I can use by heating the stamp and just using hand pressure to imprint…

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One carver I know scratches name and date on there with what looks like an awl and puts on a little

dark stain to make it show. Basic but efficient. It's truly a signed work.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Frankenstein, I thought immediately of laser technology too, but I'm not sure how expensive it is.

If there are shops that do laser engraving on a per-item basis, or in lots, or whatever, that might

work. Seems like a pipe carver could get name, year, and maybe city/country of origin on there,

highly legible and fairly small, with no problem. It's the technology for the job, if it is easily accessible.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
@newbie
Will we see you at the Chicago show in May? Anyone and everyone will be there. Good luck with your pipe stamping endeavors.
Newbie, you must have missed Rule # 342- You're not allowed to write snarky posts until you have achieved senior status…. :)

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
+1 Zack. Snarky is an understatement. what gives? Asking questions is what this place is about. Doesn't matter his smoking habits. How about instead of attacking you just answer the question at hand. Lots of new guys try their hand at pipe making. It is a fun and rewarding experience.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
That along with some of the very basic brand new to smoking a pipe type of questions you have asked makes me wonder if right now you should be asking about how to stamp a pipe since you want to now make pipes or if you should instead be asking more and more and more questions about how to actually smoke a pipe and learn what pipes are actually all about but then I might be wrong and you might be the next and best Chinese wood shaper in all of Asia.
At the risk of sounding a little snarky myself, this might just be the single longest run-on sentence I have ever seen. I mean ever. In my whole life.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Eric you may not be a senior pipe smoker but you deserve our support and respect, ask anything you want this is what this forum is about, not to belittle, make fun of a fellow piper. I can't make a pipe, I can only smoke them, so I"m pretty inexperienced as some of our fellow members who are so crafty and make their own pipes. I salute them. Whatever support you need Eric we are here.

Jan 8, 2013
One of the great things about this forum, is most of the members generally care about helping their fellow pipers achieve whatever it is they want to achieve. Of course if most members on this forum made comments like some of our newer members do, this forum would have died a long time ago. Just saying.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
One of the great things about this forum, is most of the members generally care about helping their fellow pipers achieve whatever it is they want to achieve. Of course if most members on this forum made comments like some of our newer members do, this forum would have died a long time ago. Just saying.
Well said Anthony, pity it's not all members, I hate seeing someone asking a genuine question only to be laughed at between the lines in other members comments.
New or old, junior or senior .. Everyone deserves respect and isn't that a rule of this forum ???

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I don't make pipes, but I have often wondered about this too.

It seems to me that the shank should have some internal support,

like a metal rod, to prevent the stamp from crushing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.