PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyon0oq

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2012
New Providence, NJ
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

So, I just got my first Dunhill in the mail today, pretty pleased about that. When it arrived, I unwrapped it to find that the stem had been removed from the shank for shipping. Now, I was always under the impression that you never kept the stem and the stummel apart for more than four to six hours at a time, and then only when cleaning or repairing made it a must. Still, I'm getting a mixed message on this. A friend of mine on this forum said it was common for pipes to be shipped this way, and the shop that sold it to me has a long standing relationship with this page as well, and I trust the shop owner knows what he is doing. That said, there is a post from one of our senior members here on pm.com specifically saying this should never be done. Would love to hear thoughts from the group.

Last edited by a moderator:

bostoneo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2016
Akron, OH
Never heard of that before. Ive purchased many of pipes that have come detached and never an issue. Did they say what happens?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Do you have a good fit then? Neither too loose nor too tight? I don't leave my stems out for long, but have received several that were posted broken down. No problem. A couple the fit was too loose as the mortise dried out, but a touch of moisture and a few smokes put it right.

Lyon0oq

Jul 31, 2012
New Providence, NJ
I absolutely, 100% of the time remove the stem, and pack it with the strummel. The risk of breaking during shipping to me, outweighs any other perceived issues. If the weather is extreme, I always let both pieces get acclimated to room temperature before inserting the stem.

Moving this to "pipe talk".
Thanks for putting the post where it belongs Mr. Jones. I noticed the EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob comment, and I could have sworn nothing was in caps. By the way, I went looking for these rules, so I could better follow them, where on the site are they located?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Is that a problem? I have purchase several estates on Ebay,some like yours,some not. normal use,nothing different.
Welcome from the Central Coast of California! Pull up a chair/stool/barrel and sit a while for a smoke and a chat.

You can put your location in your Profile, which will save questions in the future as to where you live should you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos of surroundings, and so forth.

ron123

Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
I've received estate pipes many times where the stem was removed, and it hasn't resulted in any issues. But, I do know what you're talking about, and I always leave the stems in place, at home, when shipping, and once in a great while take them apart for cleaning. I've seen interviews where some well known pipemakers have said exactly what the OP said, and for the same reasons. Basically when the pipe is finished being made, at that moment the stem/shank fit is as good as it will ever be. Taking it apart and exposing it to possible changes in temperature and humidity could cause the wood to swell, shrink or somehow warp. I understand the reasoning, so I keep them together...but, like I and others have said, have not had an issue when a pipe has arrived, both pieces not attached.

Reactions: chopper and jpmcwjr

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I ship pipes with the stem removed. There's less of a chance that something bad will happen that snaps the shank. I also request that pipes be shipped to me with the stem removed for the same reason.
I've never had a problem with the fit between the tenon and the mortise as a result of this practice. Never, not once. This notion that the stem should never be removed for 6 hours strikes me as yet another pipe myth. There might be an issue with briar that hasn't been properly seasoned, I suppose, and I've also found that some briar has more of a tendency to expand or contract with atmospheric conditions than other briar. But that has nothing to do with the stem being removed for an extended time.

Lyon0oq

Jul 31, 2012
New Providence, NJ
I've received estate pipes many times where the stem was removed, and it hasn't resulted in any issues. But, I do know what you're talking about, and I always leave the stems in place, at home, when shipping, and once in a great while take them apart for cleaning. I've seen interviews where some well known pipemakers have said exactly what the OP said, and for the same reasons. Basically when the pipe is finished being made, at that moment the stem/shank fit is as good as it will ever be. Taking it apart and exposing it to possible changes in temperature and humidity could cause the wood to swell, shrink or somehow warp. I understand the reasoning, so I keep them together...but, like I and others have said, have not had an issue when a pipe has arrived, both pieces not attached.

OK, well this seems to be the general consensus. I guess "the pipe parts may change if left apart that long" concerns are far outweighed by the "let's try and get your pipe to you without the tenon snapped off the stem" logic here.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I think JT Cooke said the stuff about removing stems being a huge no no. I think it was from him doing tons of repairs before he actually started making pipes. I havent had a problem. I have left pipe and stem apart for years and came back to them and put them together without a problem.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I always ship the pipe together unless the buyer asks otherwise. I don't want to risk an excited buyer jamming/twisting a stem in and having an issue. I just got two repair/restore back this week and both were separated so I must be in the minority but I stand by keeping a pipe together.?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Why would the stem snap off?
I’m assuming the pipe is bubble wrapped and in a box?
When the stem is out when shipped it’s more likely to bang against the stummel, I’ve received damaged pipes this way before. If it’s inserted it can’t touch the wood. I’ve never had an assembled pipe arrive with a broken tenon. I’ve even received a lot of 10 pipes that the seller threw loosely into a box with nothing for packing material. Only damage was them banging against each other. No broken tenons.

I ship pipes assembled and prefer to receive them the same way. However I do prefer “with” packing material.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Why would the stem snap off?
I’m assuming the pipe is bubble wrapped and in a box?
When the stem is out when shipped it’s more likely to bang against the stummel, I’ve received damaged pipes this way before. If it’s inserted it can’t touch the wood. I’ve never had an assembled pipe arrive with a broken tenon. I’ve even received a lot of 10 pipes that the seller threw loosely into a box with nothing for packing material. Only damage was them banging against each other. No broken tenons.

I ship pipes assembled and prefer to receive them the same way. However I do prefer “with” packing material.
It's not so much about the tenon snapping as it is about the shank snapping due to rough handling from some slobbering gorilla. None of the restorers I've used ever sent back a pipe assembled. Not everybody knows how to properly pack a pipe for shipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.