PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rishimak

Lurker
Sep 20, 2012
can anyone help me with this ..i need to understand how to light a pipe without scorching the rim. the only pipe i have lit so far is the brebbia cappuccio 4001 which comes with the metal rim. so please any help would be greatly appreciated ..any good videos or whatever..thanks

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I havn't had any rim scortch to speak of on any of my pipes.
I generally use matches when I can, a Bic lighter when in the confines of my home, and a zippo if it's a tad windy out.
Before lighting I lick my pinky and put a thin coat of saliva on the rim of the pipe, and then light the pipe.
It's worked so far.
The general rule is to never ever use a torch light for a pipe. Unless you like rim scortch.
Happy smoking.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I use a pipe Zippo from time to time. I move it in a circle around the inside of the pipe bowl so I don't hold it in one spot too long. I haven't had much rim charring either. If you are really worried about it just use matches. Rim charring is very easy to fix if you get some. Just get a rag and a little saliva and rub it off with a little elbow grease.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
The saliva trick on the bowl rim works. Like others mentioned, don't use a torch lighter. The best way is to take a match, light and hold it above thecenter of the bowl and above the rim and use the airflow from sipping to draw the flame down into the tobacco. The tobacco will swell some as it heats. Tamp it back below the rim and repeat with a second match. That's called the "Charring Light" and "True Light".
Mods: Please move to beginner questions forum. Thanks.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Spartan, I have never heard of the licking the bowl before lighting tip, that is way cool, thanks for that one. I use a soft flame pipe lighter either my old boy or my lotus and am very careful to not scorch my pipe, so far it has not happened, but now with the saliva trick, I can worry a bit less. I think the main thing is to go slowly and really pay attention to where your flame is. I think for a beginner, matches are the safest way to go.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Ive never heard of the saliva on the rim either, thanks for that one... but truth be told I never had too big of a problem with charing... I just use either my Zippo (with the pipe attachment) or matches... either way I can pretty much hit the tobacco :)

bayoubreeze

Lurker
Oct 9, 2012
My local B&M recommended the IMCO pipe lighter with the 45-degree angled flame. I highly recommend it for indoor and non-windy days. I plan to get a Thunderbird insert for outdoor use and traveling.
Before lighting I lick my pinky and put a thin coat of saliva on the rim of the pipe, and then light the pipe.
Thanks for that tip.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Well here is one way to do it . i have done this many times and it works. :puffy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=0XHYPso7TXs&NR=1

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Cheap (88cents) scripto electronic lighters from Dollar general do the trick for me. Adjustable flame down to match size, never scorches rim. Decent life span, and slim design. Bic seems uncontrollable for me & I have scorched a beauty Brebbia with one.

anachronislad

Lurker
Oct 8, 2012
The best way is to take a match, light and hold it above thecenter of the bowl and above the rim and use the airflow from sipping to draw the flame down into the tobacco.
You are a wise man sir.
I've always heard that you should never let the flame actually touch the tobacco or pipe, instead hold it above and draw it in. I would also advise taking the flame away immediately after you light it so its not lingering and continuing to burn. And as everyone else has said, only use soft flames like matches or bic lighters.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
I started reading "the Perfect Smoke" from Fr. Hanna and in there he mentions that lighting the pipe/tobacco has/can have really impact and consequences on how the tobacco tastes like afterwards.

He says something like "light it very gently, don't over burn it or it will taste badly".

This really brought confusion in my mind, how to not "burn" it too much, it's pipe smoking for pete's sake...

Anyone has some more info on that?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The post above yours, mentioning lighting with the heat of the flame and not the flame itself, is a good place to start. Think grilling meats, and the different levels of heat used; soft and gentle heat brings out the flavor, not the bitter char.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
To begin with, make sure that your tobacco isn't too moist. Generally it should be dry to the touch, not crispy - though some here prefer that - , but dry and pliant.
Before I touch flame to tobacco, I wet the rim with a bit o' spit. That helps prevent scorching the rim.
Whether using a match or a lighter, hover it about 1/2 inch above the surface of the tobacco and move it around in a circular motion while gently puffing to get an all over burn.
Let the first light go out. Tamp gently, then wet the rim and relight, same way you did the first light, moving the flame over the tobacco to get a even light.
Once the tobacco is going, you gently sip, like sipping scotch. The trick is to burn the tobacco at the lowest possible temperature, not the highest.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sable's got it right. You want to draw the flame to the top of the tobacco, whether it's a match or a lighter. Keep a distance from the rim. Relighting, I prefer a butane lighter, quickly drawing a burst of heat to the tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.