PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Just to confirm what everyone else has already stated - I also heard it was pronounced "gray-bow".
I learned latakia from rocky and bullwinkle.
lol - I learned it from an 1960s cartoon about a man who smoked latakia and was granted 3 wishes!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Supposing the name Grabow is of German origin, would it be "Grahbow"? Then again, most Americans don't pronounce their names as their ancestors did. (My name is Starke and we just say "stark") I've always heard it said as "Graybow".

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have often wondered if Dr. Grabow actually existed along with Dr. Plum and the fellow who invented the magic inch. I always remember his adverts promising you could smoke the pipe for 30 days and if not totally satisfied you could smash it with a hammer and return the bits at no cost to yourself!

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
Dr Paul Grabow was an actual pipesmoker in Chicago a friend of M Linkman who came up with the idea to presmoke pipes,there is a ton of history on the Grabow collectors forum and on R.J.Mckays DrGrabow site.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Gray-bow, with the accent on the first syllable, is the way I've always heard it. GRAY-bow.

The pipes are made in the northwest quadrant of the State of North Carolina, and I always

marvel at the subtle shaping of the briar on my Dr. Grabow Royalton bulldog; if it were a

signed artisan pipe, I would marvel at the artistry -- so I do anyway. Those guys and gals

craft them like they collect them, which likely some do. At some point, I may extend my

appreciation to one with a smaller bowl, and will accept any suggestions. I have great respect

that these are pipes priced for the wage earner or younger salaried pipe smoker, so they

can have a great pipe and still feed the baby and buy gas for their car.

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
mso489,the smallest Grabows would be a Duke or a Lark.I prefer the Lark but that's just me,the Omega & Cardinal are larger pipes.Your right about Grabow producing pipes for the common working man for over 80 yrs they have kept the smoker with a good value pipe that won't break the bank,back in the hayday of pipesmoking 4 outta 5 men smoked a Grabow.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Duly noted colorduke. I'll have a look at the Lark, and the Duke too. Thank you!

pipesrme

Lurker
Feb 17, 2014
I smoke an omega grabow pipe, and it's great! My entrepreneurial uncle smoked one and that's how I discovered pipe smoking. when he threw the old pipe out, I got it instead and years later just purchased another one with pure satisfaction! many memories of my dear uncle and aunt and the great out doors and the world of entrepreneur business which I adore to one day instead of getting another person rich off my hard work. Toodles gang!

dd50

Might Stick Around
Nov 21, 2013
Great point with this thread. I don't verbally communicate with any other pipe smokers and if not for hearing the correct pronunciations from Brian on the radio show, I'd still be saying Grab-o and la-tackia.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
This more futile than "The Most Overrated Pipe Maker in the known Universe" thread. :crazy:
Grey-boe, Grey-boe, Grey-boe!!!! :roll:

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
On the Dr Grabow website there is a tour of the factory.
The voice-over says over and over "Doctor Gray-Bow".

Status
Not open for further replies.