PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I've always just grabbed a corner (both sides of the chunk) and broken off a piece. rubbed out and pack.
ill have to try cutting it.
What you see in the video is a crumble cake, you see that it crumbles while being cut. That works with American plugs, not European ones. Something like Dan Salty Dogs or Gawith plugs would feel like a slab of marble, can’t really break off a piece and rub - the tobacco is consolidated into a single mass, need to shave it and then crumble, or better cut flakes and then cube cut.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
My prep of plug tobacco is simple, but does require some other tools. First I cut some pieces with a sharp knife, throw them in a small coffee/food chopper and pulse briefly to break down into small chunks. Sweep out the bits with an old paint brush, gravity drop in the pipe and lightly tap on top. I'm good to go. Here is a pic using some Peterson's Perfect Plug, which is I believe a real plug tobacco, not something you can easily break off with your fingers.

BF93E9C1-AF84-4643-8BC1-072B56178909_1_201_a.jpeg

Scully

Lurker
Jan 11, 2023
Calgary Alberta
When I was a kid there was an older gent (an old Scotsman; John Alex MacLeod - nothing Scottish about that) who lived next door (about a mile away), and he smoked plug tobacco, and he used to carve it off the plug with a small pocket knife as he sat at the end of the old wood stove, and push it into his old pipe, and he'd spark it up and you taste the aroma of the tobacco in the air it was so robust.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
When I was a kid there was an older gent (an old Scotsman; John Alex MacLeod - nothing Scottish about that) who lived next door (about a mile away), and he smoked plug tobacco, and he used to carve it off the plug with a small pocket knife as he sat at the end of the old wood stove, and push it into his old pipe, and he'd spark it up and you taste the aroma of the tobacco in the air it was so robust.
Yes.

Reactions: Piping Abe