PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
Ok ok, I am being a bit obtuse with my descriptor, but I have a few blends such at Match Ready Rubbed, Sweet Cask, and Match Sugar Barrel that are mostly made up of hard nuggets that remind me of some sort of kibble. Do people just stuff these into their bowls as is? Rub them out? Something else? They are so dense it feels like I'm trying to pack and smoke chunks of wood. These blends (in their original form) have been around forever so I know there must be lots of expertise on this. Thanks!

Reactions: danimalia

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Rarely smoke these, but I think shane has the popular approach. Gravity rules.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I just gravity fill, making sure that they are more dry than I think they need to be, as the little nuggets have a lot of moisture in the middle because they are so dense.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I gave up on cube cut. It is easy to pack -- I'd just gravity feed it and give it a slight tamp. But, the reason I gave it up is that it doesn't stay in the chamber. It easily jumps out of the pipe or spills out completely if the pipe is turned on its side. To many burning ashes for me (and my shirts).

Reactions: Casual

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I gave up on cube cut. It is easy to pack -- I'd just gravity feed it and give it a slight tamp. But, the reason I gave it up is that it doesn't stay in the chamber. It easily jumps out of the pipe or spills out completely if the pipe is turned on its side. To many burning ashes for me (and my shirts).
Wind cap.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
the "kibble" I'm thinking of looks like this...
Yeah, it's that kind of soft cube that Sutliff makes, not near as dense as regular cube cut, and much larger. I really like it in a number of blends manufactured by Sutliff. Tall, narrow chambers is what works for me. I don't know why.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
Sounds great, thanks for all of the input. I tried rubbing them out but they're pretty impenetrable so I figured that was wrong. I'll just be sure not to over pack them.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.