PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Here's the other one. It covers how to light your pipe using matches (Of course I'm still using the Maya Cerillos)as well as how to puff so that you have a good experience. I even do it wrong on purpose with predictable results.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRCnP8CMjpo

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Hey fellas! I've been writing books, working a new job and making YouTube videos. I'm a supervisor now, so I have to wrangle employees!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Welcome back, Lazarus.
You're the guy who taught me how to post pix on this site and introduced me to Black House.
Please know that I'm still paying it forward, Q.
Fnord

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Puff, Puff, Puff ...AKKK! :rofl:
Good video ... newbies should especially note the angled and light use of a tamper.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Yes, it took a bit for me to understand that tamping isn't so much squashing the ember down as moving it around a bit as you bring it down over the unsmoked tobacco. Your breath is what takes the flare from the ember to the tobacco.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Yes, it took a bit for me to understand that tamping isn't so much squashing the ember down as moving it around a bit as you bring it down over the unsmoked tobacco. 
That explanation is awesome. Here I was wondering why my tamping was usually the final blow to a dying ember. Although, deep down I had an uneasy feeling that squashing the ember and suffocating it was indeed an odd way to bring it back. :idea:

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
Ok, so I have to share this!
I just got home from a leisurely stroll smoking my pipe after watching this video and everything just came together for me this afternoon.

I rubbed out a SG Sam's flake and put the tobacco briefly in the oven at low temperature to dry it out a bit. The oven is a tip I'm fairly sure I picked up on either this forum or a Swedish one. I do not own a microwave.

The tamping technique you show in the video made a huge difference to my smoke! Having a really dry tobacco and tamping as you showed allowed me to keep my pipe lit for the duration of my walk aswell as my bowl.

As stickframer said I also usually put my ember out with tamping but not anymore!
Just when I thought things couldn't go any better I dropped my pipe! I guess that there is no such thing as the perfect smoke huh. Not to worry, it only did very minor damage to the side of the pipe.
thank you for the very informative video.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
don't feel bad. I dropped a small rack of pipes one day. Like 6 of them! I dumbassedly decided to move them from one room to another in the rack and plop. Down they went. I busted one of my Kaywoodies, but Walker Pipe Repair fixed it up for me.
It's great to hear that my videos are helping people out. I actually have a pretty good flake stuffing technique, but it's a little tricky for people to learn!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Here's a vid I made about packing your pipe. It could be helpful to the new smokers as well.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pipe-filling-tutorial-baron-samedi?replies=10#post-795930

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I actually have a pretty good flake stuffing technique
Can you give a brief description?
I generally prefer to cube cut but like a stuff and fold occasionally.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Welcome back Baron! You have been missed.
Thanks Winton!
Can you give a brief description?
I generally prefer to cube cut but like a stuff and fold occasionally.
I fold it width-wise, then lengthwise then twist it down into the bowl. If any is sticking out the top, I crumble it into the bowl, kind of like making kindling for the rest of the flake. You need to have your flake dry though.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Thanks Baron ... that's about what I do too.
For me, cube cutting seems to be the overall best method for flavor but sometimes you're on the go! :)

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Bullseye Flake is another story. I just fold it in half and stuff it in there. PS Luxury Bullseye Flake is pretty awesome and Escudo, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.