PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I can appreciate both sides of this scenario.
My morning pipe, on the front porch alone, at 5am before work is often the primer for the day and company would destroy it.
After work, I often end up at the coffee house with a nice covered outdoor area. Then, I am open to any number of social interactions.
In summary, the solitary pipe is an act unto itself and the social pipe is a peripheral to the social engagement.
To broaden the benefit of the social pipe, it is not important to me whether the other participants smoke, only that they are okay with my smoke.
Limiting your social candidates to pipe smokers makes for a very small pool of qualified persons.
jay-roger.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Pipes aren't needy. They offer no criticism. They don't run off to chase ducks on the pond or bears in the yard. Yeah, you got to feed them but, they aren't too critical. But, they won't lay at the end of the bed and keep my feet warm on a winter's night. So, pup first and pipe is a close second.

May 4, 2015
I thought about diatribing on this thread, but then decided to retort with: Potheads aren't all giggling idiots. Some of us are of above average intelligence. Lotta idiots, though, it's true.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
[Potheads aren't all giggling idiots. Some of us are of above average intelligence.]
That's the truth. I met one of my best friends in college just by making small talk after class and figuring out we both smoked pot. Actually just sent him a corn cob and a spare briar I had as well as some Carter Hall and some other tobacco samples. He is going through some rough times and I thought it would help him relax.
So in my experience it's best to just make friends and try to get them into pipe smoking if you want someone to smoke a pipe with.

Hey, you can all just come over to my place and hang out. I can crank up the grill and throw on some venison and duck to make it a party. I may ask you to help me move some rocks, but you're welcome to bring a cooler full of beverages and an instrument of choice. I can break out my banjo for some Foggy Mountain Breakdown, and you can all just jump in when you want. Ha ha. Mrs. Cosmic won't mind unless you track in the dirt. , :puffy:

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
I'll help lug rocks for grilled duck. Who needs to go inside, sounds like you probably have plenty of bushes to water.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Potheads are just giggling idiots

Giggling idiots are giggling idiots. Doesn't matter what you smoke.

Some of us are of above average intelligence

A large number of the most intelligent, loyal and thoughtful friends I have ever had, smoked weed. Most of them grew up and had wives and families and no longer partake. You kinda come off like a brooding elitist. I wouldn't hang out with you either. To make friends you have to be friendly, accessible and either intellectually, spiritually or physically attractive. I was a blatantly honest, moody, morose, loner prone to insane diatribes about the Congressional Industrial Military Complex and the alternate realities of Shamans. I had to fight off many beautiful weirdos that wanted to hang out with me. Just be yourself and don't force it. If you build it, they will come. But only if what you build is worth exploring. Get it?

Aw heck Didi, you shouldn't have that vacuum cleaner with you. Ha ha, I habe a stack of them in the closet, and Mrs Cosmic won't let me answer the door for salesmen anymore.

Warren, you'll get the right away on the interstate from Kentucky to Alabama. Just don't leave it for long if you sleep at the rest stops. There's a huge black market for tractor parts. :puffy:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Weed... so much to say, and all but a few of the users are useless, so what can I say?
The most interesting people are found in the most unexpected places, but not the stereotypical "unexpected places."

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
So... the party's at Cosmic's house?
I think it's only about seven hours of driving, which is roughly the time it takes to get across this city.
Be there in a jiffy...

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
You got it right Warren. My little dog, and my pipe and... that's all I need at the time, well maybe rum & something. :twisted:
I have no need for social these days. When I did, a pitcher of beer and a nice order of garlic bread with friends, in front of the fireplace... another place and time, long long ago in a place far away...
Oh, the only tobacco 'shop' around here is on the reservation. A gas station/smoke shop. I did get some Prince Albert there and a bag of vanilla blend something.

Since I was sick, I haven't been to the Briary, except for a quick drop by last Monday for Pipe Club. One of the things I love about the Briary is all the different people that will stand, sit, lean against the wall and talk cigars, pipes, tobaccos with each other. Suit and ties, overalls, coveralls, baseball caps, straw hats, berets, cowboy hats, tall, short, skinny, tall, fat, fatter, ha, walking canes, wheelchairs, bicycles, dreadlocks, and when John was there, we had to keep making him put his damn pants back on, sheesh, ha ha. It is a virtual people salad. Vastly different in everything else, but camaraderie, black slapping, and smoke, lots of smoke. And, if no one else is there, the employees or Skip have no limits to the bullshit they can dish out. Plus, the pipe and tobacco lectures are always interesting. Almost every big pipemaker has been there, so expect pipemaker's first names to be used when talking pipes. And, don't bring thin skin. :puffy:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
And, don't bring thin skin.
Good advice for life. At least, if you want to communicate anything. Although, as a nihilist I reject universalism, including the ideas that anything can be true, valued or communicated, at least in a universal context.

Status
Not open for further replies.