PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I've been saving a piece of nice block Meerschaum for 3 years. Paid $50 for it in Chicago from Steve Norse...and this stuff is really hard to get. You can't import the raw material from Turkey, I suspect this is African Meerschaum. So, I finally launch into it....I'm very limited by the width of the block, but decide on a tall thin Dublin with some very nice Cumberland from SEM and a bit of Mammoth ivory...An interesting material- the carvers moisten the block before they carve it. Turning it dry didn't seem to be an issue- no grain, but lots of dust that forced me to run the vacuum while turning. So here are a few pics in process...and the disaster at the end....dipping it in the hot, virgin beeswax. With all the good advice I got on the process, someone neglected the mention the need to slowly preheat the Meerschaum- I suspect the thermal shock was what cracked the bowl...but now I have a great shop pipe...(sorry Harris- I made the bit extra comfy just for you...:) Hot Virgin Beeswax...
311xv8m.jpg

14adbix.jpg

4t7lo3.jpg

6qeha9.jpg

30c7ib6.jpg

2w4b1j8.jpg

2uij6ep.jpg

14wcbva.jpg

2q22s84.jpg

idylcg.jpg

nbw7dh.jpg

2dgizc3.jpg

zwgn89.jpg

2nlzc6a.jpg

2py7w5w.jpg

30dgnth.jpg

2rqbu52.jpg

2w7lrhj.jpg

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
What a crying shame. It was shaping up to be quite a looker too.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Chalk this one up to a learning experience...I think I'll break it in with a little Stonehaven, good Rye Whiskey, and Cowboy Steak on Wednesday night...

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
I feel your pain....being no stranger to ruining work in the final stages, after spending hours of designing, set-up time, and then, delicate machining. A perfect example of beautiful workmanship....and the demerits of working with natural, unpredictable materials, like briar and Meerschaum. It's really too bad. The pipe turned out to be a beauty, except for the lousy crack.
Frank

NYC

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Zack, how dare you ruin my pipe. I was so looking forward to having a meer with a custom made vulcanite stem. You teased me with all those pics over the last couple of weeks and then when it is almost ready, you choked and broke my freaking pipe.
Seriously though I am sorry that you put in all that hard work to have this happen. As you said on the phone, it is a learning experience and I am sure that won't ever happen again.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A cryin' shame, but you are taking it well! Great photos, too.
Did you do something to make it crack, or just reveal a fault that was there?

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Did you do something to make it crack, or just reveal a fault that was there?
It definitely was the result of taking a room temp stummel and sticking it in melted wax... I probably should have slowly warmed it over a couple of hours and then put it in the wax...
Harris, your gums would have been flappin' with happiness...that stem was comfy, flat, 4mm thick, and a draft you could stick your pinky finger through....I might just take that stem, stick it on a nice Dublin Morta and tease you some more...

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Amazing work, as always, but too bad that this pipe didn't work out.
Can you seal the crack?.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Can you seal the crack?.
Don"t really need to...it's just on the surface and will be a great pipe...but in good conscience, I couldn't take 20 bags of Stonehaven from Harris for a pipe with a crack in it,,,:)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Tell him the fissure is part of the mystique and character of your efforts and get 40 from that stogie smoker.

Nice job on that shaping!

Wonderful stem, too!

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
Sand blast it :)

Harris wont notice, and will be the proud owner of the 1st ever sandblasted Meer pipe in the history :)

Maybe he'll even throw some Penzance bags on top of the 20bags Stonehaven :)

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
it's just on the surface and will be a great pipe
Totally agree with that Zack.
You can't import the raw material from Turkey
Yup, the government prohibits importing raw meerschaum from Turkey, however if I am not mistaken there was a website selling drilled block of meerschaum, you could buy and carve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.