PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
View attachment 233149

He has spread much disinformation and opinions that have raised so many questions here.

Disassemble your pipes after each smoke. Run a pipe cleaner of your choice through the stem and draft hole. Wipe the mortise out with Q-tips, and wipe the pipe's chamber out with a paper towel. With this routine, you'll nearly eliminate unwanted cake thickness, moisture, deep cleaning, and need to rest a pipe.
Don’t mutton the chop, man!
C9512F0D-EBAD-465F-AF7A-0E09FCCF490A.jpeg

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I've never heard of deep cleaning. I've heard of maintenance and cleaning. I use pipe cleaners and water rinse and paper towel wipe between smokes and if taste starts to turn I use a salt and alcohol soak (24 hrs) (probably every six months on average or when I smoke a too strong tobacco that ghosts). That's all I do.
My xl339S had been subjected to Balkan sobranie for 30 years and it only took two salt baths to remove ghost.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
View attachment 233149

He has spread much disinformation and opinions that have raised so many questions here.

Disassemble your pipes after each smoke. Run a pipe cleaner of your choice through the stem and draft hole. Wipe the mortise out with Q-tips, and wipe the pipe's chamber out with a paper towel. With this routine, you'll nearly eliminate unwanted cake thickness, moisture, deep cleaning, and need to rest a pipe.
I've met more then a few young pipe smokers (as in not smoking long) who watched his videos and have accurate critiques of his smoking advice. Usually just from experience. O.k. I've met a few young pipe smokers.

Mar 11, 2023
New Haven, CT
Thank you for all the advice. I am a bit confused. I smoke at the most (on weekends) 5 or 6 bowls a day. Is it not okay to use the same pipe throughout the day? How long should I let the pipe rest before using it again? To answer some questions;

I don't consider myself a wet smoker. I sometimes get the gurgle, but not too often. It mostly happens in my Peterson System Standard 307.

I smoke only aromatics.

I always run a few pipe cleaners through my pipes after every smoke.

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Thank you for all the advice. I am a bit confused. I smoke at the most (on weekends) 5 or 6 bowls a day. Is it not okay to use the same pipe throughout the day? How long should I let the pipe rest before using it again? To answer some questions;

I don't consider myself a wet smoker. I sometimes get the gurgle, but not too often. It mostly happens in my Peterson System Standard 307.

I smoke only aromatics.

Sounds like you are doing great.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Too preachy with one sided opinions and insists that a pipe must be smoked one way and that a pipe smoker must be a certain type of person.
I do not know him, but I think video that says “thou shalt” do something this way was a put on that he later in the video describes as not a real opinion. He’s a lovable awkward sort and has developed a following online. If he’s helping people be interested in pipe tobacco I’m for it.

Generated discussion is good for the community and the businesses that support the hobby.

And I certainly respect your opinion.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Too preachy with one sided opinions and insists that a pipe must be smoked one way and that a pipe smoker must be a certain type of person.
I don't think he's a bad guy, but definitely an odd bird. He used to come around to our local club meets, but after some funny interaction with people he just stopped making appearances.

That's when his YouTube videos began..
I think he was more comfortable doing that than real life interaction.

Reactions: OverMountain

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
A thread you might want to read regarding acrylic stems. Maybe it will help. Make your own choices.
Alcohol and Acrylic Stems :: Pipe Repair and Maintenance :: Pipe Smokers Forums of PipesMagazine.com
Thanks for posting the link. I had no idea alcohol was so bad for acrylic stems.

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
I don't think he's a bad guy, but definitely an odd bird. He used to come around to our local club meets, but after some funny interaction with people he just stopped making appearances.

That's when his YouTube videos began..
I think he was more comfortable doing that than real life interaction.
Yes, everyone is on their own journey. I appreciate the guys videos that he is reaching out for others that enjoy pipe tobacco.

And I can bet you, since he is a marine veteran, he’s used to being part of a team or part of a community. I am sure he likes the engagement, even if it is online.

Reactions: AroEnglish

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

I smoke only aromatics.

rest is kind of personal preference and also depends on what you smoke and how you clean the pipe. Basically if it's dry I consider it fine. But if you don't rest the pipe it can do two things. One is just get nasty faster and increase the need to deep clean (some blends do this more then others). The other is if there are underlying flaws in the wood it can make a burnout or crack happen faster or sooner.
I rotate but not religiously. I do notice the pipes are sweeter and cleaner tasting if I do that. But not in a ruin the smoke kind of way. But mainly I rotate because I like all my pipes.

Mar 11, 2023
New Haven, CT
Yes, everyone is on their own journey. I appreciate the guys videos that he is reaching out for others that enjoy pipe tobacco.

And I can bet you, since he is a marine veteran, he’s used to being part of a team or part of a community. I am sure he likes the engagement, even if it is online.
I enjoy his videos. Unfortunately, my dad and my grandpa, who both smoked pipes, are gone. As such, I have no mentor for pipe smoking. It's just been trial and error along with this forum and YouTube videos. I find he always makes sure to let people know that he's just showing how he does things and doesn't claim to be right or wrong. He has said numerous times that if you have a way that works for you then keep doing it.

I find him to be just a guy who really enjoys the art of pipe smoking and also enjoys sharing his enthusiasm for our hobby with people. He's been a great resource of information for me.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Mutt N Chop is fine as long as each person understands that you have to make your own way in life. What he says you should do may or may not be right for you. Time, experience and patience are the best educators. As for cleaning a pipe, I use generic Listerine on a pipe cleaner. It is antiseptic and it doesn't leave any taste to the pipe. Works for me, but I haven't asked Mutt N Chop.

Reactions: AroEnglish and Zero

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I've always found his videos hard to watch. Something about his speech patterns or cadence. Lots of awkward pauses, "um"s and "uh"s. It comes across to me as being unprepared. I've lost count how many times I've tried watching his "breathe" method.

As to deep cleaning, I do a vodka soaked cleaner through the airway with vodka soaked cotton balls in the bowl and mortise. The stems will usually go into a shot glass full of mouthwash, bit down with another cleaner running through it. The next day I'll change it all out with new soaked cotton balls and cleaners. I'll do that until there is no more staining or color bleeding into the white cotton. I buy lots of estate pipes and this method hasn't failed me yet.

Reactions: WVOldFart

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I use 151 Everclear, I think they banned the 190 out here.

151 is great stuff too.

I would never recommend running a cleaner dipped in it, through an acrylic or cumberland stem, but only through the shank, mortise and chamber.

I never considered running cleaners dipped in it after every smoke, I usually do it after a few smokes, or when I see the draught hole at the bottom of the chamber getting really dark, as I don’t smoke all the way to the bottom, and I like to keep the airway as carbon/resin free as possible.

@Cpt._GreyBeard if you wipe the chambers out with like a paper towel/napkin after smoking, as an example on newer pipes, then you’ll never build a thick cake. You only need around 1mm or less, and cleaning like this, will always ensure a better smoke too.

P.S. My first concert as a kid was New Haven, mid 70s, seeing Boston, when they were just getting started, I’ll never forget it... LOL 😆
Do you have to wipe out the chamber immediately after your done smoking or can you let it cool down a bit? when my pipe is cool, I take the stem off, run a pipe cleaner through it and the shank and then give the vulcanite stem a coating of mineral oil that I buff off the next morning when I reassemble the pipe.
I have a Savinelli that has maybe the "dime" thickness of cake and I wasn't sure if I should be checking into a reamer or not. I had read about light sanding if it builds up too much, but one member suggested otherwise. For reamers, I've seen the kits - like the Castleford - but even the smallest wouldn't fit in the bowl. And then there was the option of something like the oyster knife style.

Reactions: andrew

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Do you have to wipe out the chamber immediately after your done smoking or can you let it cool down a bit? when my pipe is cool, I take the stem off, run a pipe cleaner through it and the shank and then give the vulcanite stem a coating of mineral oil that I buff off the next morning when I reassemble the pipe.
I have a Savinelli that has maybe the "dime" thickness of cake and I wasn't sure if I should be checking into a reamer or not. I had read about light sanding if it builds up too much, but one member suggested otherwise. For reamers, I've seen the kits - like the Castleford - but even the smallest wouldn't fit in the bowl. And then there was the option of something like the oyster knife style.
I use pipe cleaners immediately after each smoke to clean the airway, then double over to clean out the chamber.
Occasionally I use scrunched paper towels to further clean out the chamber

I will ream out a pipe if I can't fit my pinkie in the chamber all the way down to the base
PS I have small hands ;)

I have both the Pipnet and Senior reamers.
The Pipnet works so well that I have not used the Senior
Occasionally I have used the "spoon" from a Czech pipe tool to scrape out loose cake.
I avoid using bladed instruments (especially pointy ones) as I have seen too many out of round bowls, notched bowl rims and damaged/over-reamed chamber bases :mad:

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I use pipe cleaners immediately after each smoke to clean the airway, then double over to clean out the chamber.
Occasionally I use scrunched paper towels to further clean out the chamber

I will ream out a pipe if I can't fit my pinkie in the chamber all the way down to the base
PS I have small hands ;)

I have both the Pipnet and Senior reamers.
The Pipnet works so well that I have not used the Senior
Occasionally I have used the "spoon" from a Czech pipe tool to scrape out loose cake.
I avoid using bladed instruments (especially pointy ones) as I have seen too many out of round bowls, notched bowl rims and damaged/over-reamed chamber bases :mad:
My pinky fits! Someone on another thread suggested wooden pop sickle sticks when the bowl was cold. The cake kind of creeped up on me and I got worried about it because I don't smoke that much - four or five bowls a week with a dozen pipes to choose from. I measured the bowl of my Savinelli 626 - and it was .6" (15,24mm). I would say it has the dime thickness on it now.20230720_173212.jpg20230720_173200.jpg20230720_173221.jpg

Auxsender

Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Question becomes, how deep would you like to clean? Don't answer that.

Like everyone answered so far, if you carefully clean all the internal surface of the pipe after each smoke, there is no need for deep cleaning. If you wipe out the chamber nice and neat, you won't get typical cake that builds up quick. You'll actually get hard thin cake which is preferable to most. Yupe, mortise is pain, or pain to even some of the people who smoked for some time. Thing is, to clean the mortise, you have to take the stem off. Some people just hate the idea of disassembling a pipe. Some of us will disassemble in the middle of smoke to clean, and at the end of the smoke when all the crap built on the mortise is still warm and easy to wipe out. But I never suggest that to anyone else. With some bad luck, shank can crack. Other option is army mount of one type or the other. Army mount is made to be disassembled in middle of smoke in case you have to go and shoot someone over a trench.
I definitely continue smoking my pipe when I have to shoot people over a trench. Why put the pipe down when I can clench?