PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I do apply a microcrystalline wax to the band when I do a clean up and renewal as a temporary barrier. Mostly I keep them out of light and open air when not in use. That's the nice thing about a cased pipe. These:
yRocEvK.jpg

are 112 years old and have never needed polish.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I'll put in an order for some microcrystalline wax then.
Thanks for the tip mate, I've been polishing every 7 days or so and although the silver looks lovely and shiny it is a good bit of work so anything that can slow the tarnishing a touch I'm more than willing to give a try.

Chris.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I do apply a microcrystalline wax to the band when I do a clean up and renewal as a temporary barrier. Mostly I keep them out of light and open air when not in use. That's the nice thing about a cased pipe. These:
yRocEvK.jpg

are 112 years old and have never needed polish.

Yeah I noticed my Baki Calabash in its case doesn't tarnish, unfortunately my other 2 spigots don't have a case so it looks like it'll be a never ending 'Golden Gate Bridge' job of constant polishing every week or two.
Unless I just leave it and go for an antique look that is.

Chris.

boffosquid

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2019
Edmonton
I use a product I source from Maison Birks (a higher end jewellery chain here in Canada - though I bet the product is available from other suppliers). Its called "Silver Foam" - 500gm jar. I tape the wooden stem area adjacent to the silver band, then I wet included sponge, dip into compound, lightly apply to silver band, removes tarnish and polishes the silver surface. Wipe dry with cloth - gleeeeem! Leaves a layer that inhibits tarnish formation.

Birks ® Silver Foam 500g - https://www.maisonbirks.com/en/birks-silver-foam-500g - $25 Can. Lasts forever. Really good stuff to use on the family sterling and plate. Helps build character for visiting bored elementary school-aged grandchildren....puf

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I use the same product I clean the oxidation from the stems, Flitz polish. It is a gritless, non-toxic polish meant for use on fine metal surfaces, but works great on vulcanite stems, silver and other metal bands and ornaments. It's available at Ace Hardware and Amazon.

+1 on this.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Tip: A piece of masking tape around the shank will keep your polishing product from getting on the briar.

Edit: I just noticed boffo already mentioned the tape. My bad.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Tip: A piece of masking tape around the shank will keep your polishing product from getting on the briar.

Edit: I just noticed boffo already mentioned the tape. My bad.
If using a Jeweler's cloth, this isn't necessary. You can even polish up the briar and stem while you're at it with zero clean up afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.