PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aziz

Lurker
Aug 26, 2013
Hi everyone,

I am trying to cut down smoking cigarettes and decided to switch to pipes, so I bought a Savinelli pipe, Davidoff and captain black tobacco. I found smoking pipe is more relaxing and enjoyable than smoking cigarettes but I can't get the nicotine buzz from captain black and i didn't like how it taste. but when i tried Davidoff 'Royalty' it tasted nice and gave me a slight nicotine buzz and for some reason it made my mouth dry.
so my question is how a noob like me can choose a good tobacco and distinguish the difference between them? (keep in mind that i buy them online)
Also, do you guys recommend that i get another pipe for aromatic tobacco?

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
A lot of guys have pipes for aros and others for english, and yet other pipes for Virginias.

You may like lighter aromatics rather heavy ones. You should try lane 1q to get a base.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Trying to get a nicotine hit from Captain Black may be next to impossible. If you are looking for a cigarette replacement, then you may want to look into some of the old codger blends like Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh, etc. They are pretty one dimensional but they won't bite easily and will deliver a little more nicotine.
Past that, there are any number of more interesting blends which are available. Try small samples of different types of leaf (Virginia, Burley, something with Latakia, etc.) The one advantage that you may have is that some blends that others find too strong may not bother you. I'd recommend you try a sampler from any of the vendors associated with this site. Try 1 oz samplers of a variety of things and go from there.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
For smokers looking to quit the nails, I always recommend VaPers. Search on the forum for the many community favorites. There's something about a VaPer that, to me anyway, satisfied and distracted me from reaching for the nails. Haddo's Delight, a VaPer hybrid, is strong in nicotine and regarded by most as a top choice. My top five is always changing, but Haddo's is always in there.
Additionally, Roth recently turned me on to Peter Stokkebye Turkish. This is a straightforward and excellent tobacco, sold inexpensively in bulk, that is a great "all day" smoke for a recovering cigarette smoker.
Finally, I'm a big fan of Hearth and Home Angler's Dream, an oft sold out and slightly flavored burley that is, IMO, a step up from Carter Hall (another tobacco that will be recommended to you as this thread progresses).
Edit: In answer to your other question- yes, I would definitely recommend you get another pipe for aromatics. An MM cob will do fine for under $10.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
There are some good observations here, especially this.

Trying to get a nicotine hit from Captain Black may be next to impossible.

The following may not pertain to you, but was my experience.
I smoked cigarettes for a looong time. Decades. Towards the end of my cigarette career, I dabbled with a pipe and a cigar here and there and didn't understand them. I would often smoke a pipe and then have cigarette because the hit wasn't there.
Then at age 39 I stopped smoking completely for the first time ever for about two months. The first day I took a long nap and the physical symptoms were gone. After that it was all psychological.
Gradually I had come to the realization that nicotine was going to have a place in my life. I started smoking only a pipe, one every other day. The crave for the immediate, cigarette-like hit had disappeared. What remained was a relaxed enjoyment, and an appreciation for the act of smoking a pipe for 75 minutes and being in a zen-like state (or what me, with my western mind believes to be a zen-like state) when finished.
Where am I going with this? I don't know what your experience is or how old you are, but consider clearing the palette, flushing the pipes and uncarving the block and abstain for a bit. Then start fresh. The perfect tobacco for you is out there, but it is hard to smell through all that haze.
Best of Luck.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
If you want a nice smoky blend that will not disappoint that will have a nice nicotine hit then try the Frog Morton blends cellar,bayou by McLelland, you can pick it up at 4noggins. You could also try some Peter Stockkebye bulls eye flake. If you like the Frog Morton then try some pirate kake by Cornell & Diehl

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
Samplers was how I started on different types of tobaccos. Before that I just smoked aromatics. I got a sampler pack from pipesandcigars.com. From the sampler pack I was able to find out that I love VaPers.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think that almost all cigarette smokers have just one or two brands to which they are loyal.

The pipe smoking world is completely different in this regard. One-only brand smokers are the exception, not the rule.
My advice is to avoid aromatics entirely until your tongue is conditioned, and your pipe smoking techniques are established.

Best bet is to seek tobaccos that are similar to those used in cigarettes, and use small(er) capacity pipes like corncobs.

But buy a Forever stem from Walker Briar Works for better performance with your corncob.
Recommended choices from Newminster: #80 Norway Pipe Cut, #81 Denmark Pipe Cut, and #84 Oriental Pipe Cut.

From Daughters & Ryan: Rimboché S.J., and for powerful nicotine strength, Picayune.

From J.F. Germain: Royal Jersey Perique Mixture

I could also second the recommendations of Angler's Dream, Carter Hall, Prince Albert, and Sir Walter Raleigh regular,

as well as Sail (yellow), and Dunhill Royal Yacht and Elizabethan. There are many, many others.
Chances are your cigarettes were composed of Virginia Brights, Burley, and Oriental tobaccos. So if you read the description

of a particular blend, you'll be in the ball park on flavor profile with some combination of those tobaccos.
Be adventurous and enjoy the journey. :puffy:

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
+1 on samplers
Welcome to the forums Aziz. Feel free to ask any questions no matter how trivial or "dumb" they may be. Everyone here is super friendly and will gladly you help if they can. I hope you stick around and am also glad you decided to try smoking a pipe over nails(cigs). Enjoy the journey brother!
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever

~ Chinese Proverbs

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
In general, those sampler packs are a great idea for pipe smokers seeking to expand their experience

-- to dip their toes in unfamiliar waters, so to speak. But at just this time, you have other fish to fry.
You're abandoning the convenience and personal habits associated with cigarettes; you have to satisfy

your need for nicotine and a familiar flavor; you have to condition your tongue; and, among a myriad of

other changes, you have to develop a tobacco palate. The sampler packs normally contain blends of greater

complexity, but less satisfaction of the sort you get from cigarettes.
In the particular case of a cigarette smoker looking for transition blends, I would seek out those with

the characteristics I mentioned in my previous post. That's my opinion, stated as un-pompously as I know how.
Whether you do this or not, your pipe smoker's card will remain valid. :lol:

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Samplers have already been mentioned, but I don't think anyone mentioned you can call an Internet company and they will actually talk to you and make suggestions. My personal favorite but by no means the best is pipesandcigars hearth and Holmes sampler. If your looking for something cig like try American heritage or beverwyck. Both available in the H&H sampler and to me both smell like cigs although to be fair I never smoked cigs. If you call they will give better advice.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
If you can get ahold of some Condor or some Irish Flake, I guarantee, you won't miss the nicotine...

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Many recommend contacting 4noggins.com directly- he can give you some fantastic guidance and suggestions.
Also- any mods out there to deal with this gentleman posting on menthol?

aziz

Lurker
Aug 26, 2013
Many thanks and appreciation for sharing your thoughts and experiences to help a noob like me in the pipe and tobacco world. I'll give you an update soon in this thread, at the meanwhile, enjoy puffing you pipes :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.