How To Check The Seal On Tinned Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Ceriano

Lurker
Feb 18, 2023
USA
How do you check the seal on tinned tobacco? I typically vacuums seal bagged tobacco like esoterica or anything that comes in square tins, Germain's, penzance etc. but rest of the stuff I just put in a zip lock bag and forget about them. I was going thru my cellar this past weekend and I can definitely smell the tobacco when I opened the ziplock bags. Is it safe to say the seal has been compromised? All the tins are at least 6-7 years old and most are discontinued dunhill blends. Should I vacuum seal them to be on the safe side? I'm hoping to keep them another 10-15 years.
I also have bunch of McClelland tubs, with those I assume as long as there are not visible damage to the tin they should be good to go, maybe?

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Just open the square tins and jar or mylar them when you get them unless there is some age aspect you think you may gain from 10-15 years vs. 6-7 and that's one I'm not qualified to get into.

Reactions: Ceriano and Scottmi

Ceriano

Lurker
Feb 18, 2023
USA
Just open the square tins and jar or mylar them when you get them unless there is some age aspect you think you may gain from 10-15 years vs. 6-7 and that's one I'm not qualified to get into.
What about McClelland? Are those safe in tins for long term 10 years+?

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
What about McClelland? Are those safe in tins for long term 10 years+?
Who knows. I’ve never had one with an issue but very small sample size and their tins weren’t all the same. Then there’s “safe” vs. what may or may not happen to the flavor of the tobacco or and whether that is something you like. I’d be less concerned about those or any of similar construction than the metal ones you asked about.

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
How do you check the seal on tinned tobacco? I typically vacuums seal bagged tobacco like esoterica or anything that comes in square tins, Germain's, penzance etc. but rest of the stuff I just put in a zip lock bag and forget about them. I was going thru my cellar this past weekend and I can definitely smell the tobacco when I opened the ziplock bags. Is it safe to say the seal has been compromised? All the tins are at least 6-7 years old and most are discontinued dunhill blends. Should I vacuum seal them to be on the safe side? I'm hoping to keep them another 10-15 years.
I also have bunch of McClelland tubs, with those I assume as long as there are not visible damage to the tin they should be good to go, maybe?
Some of my Dunhill tins smell like tobacco, especially the Latakia blends. I’ve checked the seals and they are fine. Sometimes I think the smell is from the factory on the outside of the tin, maybe in the sticker? I’m not sure honestly but the ones I’ve opened have been fine. Definitely twist the round tins counter clockwise to check the seal, if you can open them with your hands they are not sealed.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
By and large, canister tins, like the McClelland tins, are good for decades, as they used food grade tins for their product. But a number of McClelland smokers have reported a few of their older tins from the '90's having rotted through from the inside out. That said, it appears to be a tiny percentage. I've had a couple of failures with canister tins that were over 20 years old, both Rattray's where pressure from the inside had caused a failure along the scoring for the pop top. Other failures were with C&D tinnings of Haddo's, Raven's Wing, Renaissance, and Bohemian Scandal, from between 2000 and 2004, due to the crappy quality of the tins that were used. They literally rotted from the inside out. It is a crap shoot.

In general, round tins hold up quite well because the pressure is evenly distributed around the curving perimeter, but none of these were designed with decades long service in mind. The round tins often do hold up for decades, but don't count on it.

Square and rectangular tins are the worst designed for long term storage as there's no way to maintain an evenly distributed pressure around that shape. Gaskets can fail. They're losing a tiny amount of pressure from the get go, which is why you can smell the contents. They're usually good, in my personal experience, for a decade and then they start to fail. My experience with these tins after 30 years is that maybe 10% are still solid, but that's a small sampling. Still, it's why I consider any 1980's or thereabouts tin of "whatsis" that's up for sale to be a likely shelf ornament, and I don't spend $$$ for shelf ornaments.

For longer term peace of mind either jar, or heat seal in heavy grade food grade Mylar. Wherever you are storing your cellar, make sure that it is in a dry location so the tins don't rust out. Just accept that a percentage of your cellar, hopefully a small one, is going to go south on you no matter what you do.

FHlight

(FengHao)
Sep 28, 2022
McClelland tins are well sealed, don't worry, I have some McClelland tobaccos that are over 20 years old and when I opened them they were still in great condition.