PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
I wonder who made his pipe, and what tobacco he is smoking?
Whatever the company scrip could buy at the company store.
My great grandpa worked at a steel mill in the early 1900s. He worked for scrip.
He smoked cigars but would use the tiny bit of cash my great grandma made sewing to buy "REAL" cigars from a shop.
Later in life he smoked those little Italian cigars exclusively.... DeNobli maybe??
There were empty boxes all over his house and shop when we cleaned them out in the early 1980s.

Reactions: AreBee and gord

gord

Part of the Furniture Now
Whatever the company scrip could buy at the company store.
My great grandpa worked at a steel mill in the early 1900s. He worked for scrip.
He smoked cigars but would use the tiny bit of cash my great grandma made sewing to buy "REAL" cigars from a shop.
Later in life he smoked those little Italian cigars exclusively.... DeNobli maybe??
There were empty boxes all over his house and shop when we cleaned them out in the early 1980s.
I have heard that the poor often smoked horse turds. Probably lavender, kinnikinnic, and ground dandelions and coltsfoot as well. Common poverty fare.

Reactions: AreBee and Sig

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
The wee lad was old enough to do a (small) man's work, who'd have the heart to deny him a pipe after his shift?

Probably his dad died in the mine and he being an older sibling was working to support his ma and younger siblings.

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
I have heard that the poor often smoked horse turds. Probably lavender, kinnikinnic, and ground dandelions and coltsfoot as well. Common poverty fare.
I know great grandpa used to smoke his cigar nubs in a pipe. He also was known to smoke other guys cigar nubs in his pipe. :)
Most likely ANY tobacco scraps he could find.
He did not speak English at all when he came from Sweden.
Schools in Sweden did not teach English like they do now.

Reactions: gord and AreBee

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
Judging by the background I'd think that's a costume and props for an upper middle class photo session.

Possibly but circa 1900 coal mining was about as low class work as you could get. It'd be like dressing your daughter up like a street walker for a photo shoot.

The boys would usually start underground as trappers opening and closing the air doors when the cars of coal would come through. When I started underground circa 2001 I had the great pleasure of being taught mining by some really old English and European miners. The English men, mostly Jordy's and Yorkshiremen, would leave school to start underground usually at 15 years old. Some of the guys I worked with had over 50 years experience underground. My boss Gunther, a German, started underground at 14 to support his family after WW2 as a trapper and worked his way up to mine boss. I still miss those guys. It's been about 12 years since I've been underground (i work at the more respectable profession of cabinetry now) but I still miss it. My wife says I still cut coal in my sleep.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’ve seen this in the past, and have read at several places this is not a real photo.

Of course smoking in the 19th and very early 20th century was a different world with young kids smoking.

gord

Part of the Furniture Now
Judging by the background I'd think that's a costume and props for an upper middle class photo session.
Could be, but there are a lot of historic photos that paint the same kind of picture. If it is a prop, that's still one tough little bastard. Just lookit' his eyes.

There are lots of prodigies on violin (my field) notably Milstein, Heifetz, and the whole Leopold Auer School, that did their debut at very early ages performing works that professionals could not match in dexterity. Tough times breed tough people. Unlike today's prodigies, they weren't imitative intuitives, but had a mentality to match.

Last edited: