PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickg

Lurker
Aug 1, 2012
When I first smoked a pipe (back in the mid 70's) I smoked real sweat aromatics (like Captain Black, sweet Black Cavendish, etc...) then went to cigs (for over 30 years) and now back to pipes (proud to say I'm smoking less and less cigs). When I got back to pipes, I started with Dunhill 965 and I LOVED IT (could be a bit stronger). I recently had a pang to try the sweet stuff again and ordered Mac Baren 7 Seas Royal Blend. When I opened the tin is smelled great. I loaded up a bowl (very wet and gooey) and smoked it. I don't know what happened to me between the mid 70's and now but I have to say I HATED it. I couldn't finish the bowl. I found that my taste changed quit a bit. I love cake, chocolate, cherries, etc... but NOT in my tobacco. I know that as a cig (hopefully) x-cig smoker I need the nic (like I need my caffeine...no apologies on my part...just love the caffeine and nic.) and even if the sweet sugary aromatics had the high nic, I'd still hate the sweet sugary taste. Funny how tastes change.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Not at all uncommon. I have no desire to revisit some of the things I smoked when I started out. :D
My idea of a "sweet" blend these days is an occasional crossover English, or a blend where sweeter tasting Orientals or Virginias contribute to the flavor.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
Throw it in a jar, try again in a few months, repete until gone or you like it lol

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Yup, same here mate. I smoke a fair amount of Kendals Kentucky, Dark Birdseye, Drum and 5 Brothers. Often times, I want the tobacco taste alone, with no flavors, or casings; just plain good ole baccy.

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I occasionally enjoy an aromatic (mostly because the room note is more tolerable to my wife), but my palette has definitely changed over time.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I first started smoking a pipe, I was into English blends big time, now I cannot smoke them. I have a sweet tooth and I love the sweetness I get from VA flakes. I also like spicy sweet so Vaper flakes are what I go for when I am in the mood for that type of flavor. I do have a few aromatics from Boswell's I was smoking on occasion but have kind of taken a break from those. I will smoke them again I am sure, but right now it is all flake for me.

Aug 14, 2012
The reverse happened to me. I started smoking only Balkan Sobranie. Recently I have been into Peterson aromatics: Sherlock Holmes, Sweet Killarney & Sunset Breeze. But right now I am smoking a bowl of Full Balkan Reserve, thinking "how good this is."

jallen49

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2011
I was rummaging through my tobacco stash not too long ago and found a baggie of McClellend bulk 5100 Red Cake. I remember hating it when I first bought it, which was a few years ago. I remember thinking how bland and boring it was. I recently tried it for the first time since then... I really enjoyed it! I was actually able to taste the nuances more.
It is true that one's pallet will indeed change over time.

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
Reverse for me also. Was a latakia english nut, and switched to 7 seas. Can barely smoke an English now. I also nuke the 7 seas for 8 seconds. Delicious. Virginia is now a dirty word for me. Go figure. :?

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I used to smoke only aro's, now it's about 50/50 with english making it's way into my rotation more and more...At first I thought, how could anyone smoke english, it's way to strong, but once I got into the hobby, I wanted to expand my knowledge and taste...and I'm glad I did

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Cannot limit myself to just one style or another. I recently rediscovered spirit blends: tobacco with rum, bourbon, whiskey, etc. Sutliff Top Shelf is just the bomb, :D . And I have been on an aromatic kick with 6 aros out here with me, as well as some Cerberus, Princes Street, Irish Flake and Wessex Burley Sliced.

Status
Not open for further replies.