PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bles

Might Stick Around
Apr 18, 2024
Pretoria, SOUTH AFRICA
I bought my first pipe about 1968 or 69 when there was a guy who smoked a pipe with Borkum Riff in the study hall of the student union at the University of Nebraska, and it just smelled so good... NO WAY NO MORE.
In 1995 my wife gifted me my first pipe, a Peterson Barrel, and a packet of Borkum Riff Original with the hope that I would stop smoking cigarettes. Well, three years after that I stopped smoking completely only to pick up on cigars and pipes smoking around 5 years ago. Till today with all the different tobaccos I cellar, I still sport a jar filled with Borkum Riff Original tobacco because it just smells so good.

Reactions: MartyA

Bles

Might Stick Around
Apr 18, 2024
Pretoria, SOUTH AFRICA
I only smoke occasionally as I only smoke a pipe when I have at least an hour or more of free time and know no one will disturb me at that time. For me, it is about the ritual of choosing a pipe and tobacco, packing the pipe and meditating when smoking a pipe. I smoke at least one bowl per week or every other week. When I'm on holiday I have more free time available.

Apr 6, 2024
Marchand, Manitoba, Canada
I agree with many here in that the timing has to be right. I guess I'm not experienced enough to just light up a bowl anywhere anytime and relax. Usually weekends I'll have 4-6 bowls. Just easier if I'm not under pressure. Sometimes once or twice during the week if I'm feeling it.

Reactions: Bles

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
If I was allowed to smoke in my home, I'd become a chain smoker lol.
I'd say anywhere from 5-8 bowls a day. Depending on how many times I walk my dog, or if I have a lot of driving to do.
Something I have started doing recently (Should not get into this habit) is inhaling the first few puffs of my Virginia's. I get one hell of a nicotine rush and coming from a heavy nicotine vaping background my body missed the feeling.
I really need to work on this.
I may need to smoke slower as I don't feel like I'm getting as much nicotine as I used to when smoking my pipe these days.

Reactions: Pappy Coon

slewthy

Lurker
Apr 16, 2024
Shropshire, UK
I'm a new comer to pipes from not smoking at all. I find it odd.
Although I don't inhale, it's immediately addictive. I want to smoke all the time. Even though I can't be doing it right!
Currently, it's walking Cooper the dog on Sundays. But I'm searching for other opportunities to do so. I have an estate pipe in the garage filled that I sometimes light, take a few sips and then let go out.
It's on my mind a lot.
But this can't be addiction can it. What is it exactly that is so appealing?

Apr 6, 2024
Marchand, Manitoba, Canada
Although I don't inhale, it's immediately addictive. I want to smoke all the time. Even though I can't be doing it right!
Currently, it's walking Cooper the dog on Sundays. But I'm searching for other opportunities to do so. I have an estate pipe in the garage filled that I sometimes light, take a few sips and then let go out.
It's on my mind a lot.
The dopamine from doing such a simple, pleasurable and habitual activity is definitely "addicting" Our bodies like habit and routine.

farmer

Lurker
Jan 2, 2022
Arizona
Usually 2 bowls on Saturdays and Sundays
Very occasionally 3 - if the bowls are small (I have a lot of old Britwoods, which tend to be on the smaller side)

I'll have a bowl or 2 whenever I have a day off work or if I'm on holidays.

It's difficult to smoke in public places here in Oz, because of the draconian anti-smoking legislations.
"Draconian." Well-said! In the Perth, W.A. metropolitan area one should be well-away of others when lighting up anything. New acquaintances will often say, "Oh, you smoke a pipe?" as their voice inflection rises in utter surprise. It's as if I was wearing a tricorn & had a lengthy clay in my hand!

Some will comment though that the aroma is grand or pleasant which is something. For the most part though, smokers of any type are frequently the dregs of the barrel. Ah, but isn't that a good thing? I mean isn't that the foundation of Vegemite?

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
It's on my mind a lot.
Nicotine.