How Many Tobaccos Do You Have Open and Smoking at Once?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I keep about 20 jars at arm's length, but a bowlful of anything in the cellar is fair game if it will scratch a particular itch. That includes opening a sealed tin if I have an empty jar at the ready. :puffy:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
A 1.5 inch deep chamber lasts me around two hours if I smoke it with no interruption, and I generally only smoke 2 bowls per day.
I never knew this thread was going to have so much math. I get about the same duration, but lately, have been grinding away so much that a pipe is the only thing keeping me conscious (and then sometimes not, as a few shirts full of burn holes can attest).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
About two dozen including open pouches, several open tins, mostly jars including some small quantities, and two open tubs. A few jars are not opened but are "aging." I have no set rotation, but just choose bowl to bowl.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Do NOT allow JimInks to post to this thread, as I doubt that Kevin's server could handle the sheer volume of data! :)
server-meltdown-fail.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I generally have only one blend smoking at any one time. I have about 10 blends in jars from which i help myself at any given moment. It used to be more like 30, but I made a decision to smoke those down before opening any more tins.

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
Last count I was between 45 to 50 jars. But I’m working to get that down to around 30 different tobaccos.

jayski

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
Dang folks! Some of you definitely make me feel like a conservative piper. I am usually overseas at work and for some reason can’t get my self to have more than three maybe four tins going at once. I have started quite the small collection of blends out here. I can’t get myself to open more than four due to the fact that I may have to un-a** my AO at any moment if things get to dicey and believe me I’m not leaving all of it behind!

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I have 8 or so different tins open at once.
I do have some bulk stuff in mason jars. Quarts for long time storage, small (4oz?) jars for usage of bulks.
Basically I buy a tin, smoke it a little at a time to see if I like the tobacco. If I like it, I buy either bulk or 10-20 tins, to store away and pull a tin or 1-2 oz at a time to smoke. If I don't like it that much, I slowly finish the tin and not buy again.
Currently I have:
965 40 tins, 3 pounds bulk

bb1938 20 tins

Elizabethan Mixture 20 tins

Balkan Delight 10 tins

Old Dublin 5 tins

Squadron Leader 1 pound bulk

Night Cap 5 tins, 1 pound bulk

HH Latakia Flake 2 tins, 1 pound bulk

HH Bold Kentucky 1 pound bulk

HH Acadian Perique 2 tins, 1 pound bulk

University Flake 2 tins

Irish Flake 2 tins

Red Rapeere 1 tin

3 Noggins 1 tin

Proper English 2 pounds

English Oriental Supreme 1 pound

Irish Whiskey 1 tin, 8oz

Irish Oak, 1 tin

Escudo, 1 tin

Luxury Navy Flake, 1 pound

Luxury Bullseye Flake, 1 pound

Commonwealth, 1 tin

Bothy Flake, 1 tin

The Solent Mixture, 1 tin

HH Vintage Syrian, 1 tin

1965 Mixture, 1 tin

Haunted Bookshop, 1 tin

Eastern Star, 1 tin

Orient Express, 1 tin

The Aperitif, 10 tins

London Mixture, 10 tins

Royal Yacht, 12 tins

Montgomery, 1 tin

Union Square, 1 tin

St. James Woods, 1 tin

Frog Morton Cellar, 1 tin

Condor Green, 1 pouch

Carter Hall, 2 pouches

Capstan, 1 tin

St. James Flake, 1 tin

Halberg Green, 1 pouch

Edward G Robinson, 1 tin
A lot of the 1-2 tins stuff I have not tried yet. I only started smoking 2 years ago, and got hooked on 965, which I always come back to.

leatherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2017
I haven't started cellaring tobacco, but I usually buy 1-2 tins a month and have 4 on the go right now. I am still trying new blends, mostly to see what I like. I will be stocking up in 2018 on blends I love, but will continue to try new ones.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I say life is short, open whatever you want. If stored properly it should last you a long long time. As someone who is exploring all the great tobacco that is out there (I used to mainly smoke Carter Hall), it's nice to have lots of jars at the ready to A/B a blend against another.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I normally have around 20 tins open at all times. I also have 5 bulks I smoke out of at the same time.
My bulks that are always available are:

Samuel Gawith Best Brown, Full Virginia, and St James.

Solani Silver Flake

Stonehaven

thefishguy

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2017
I spent this last year looking for the Holy Grail blend. What I found after about 80 different tins or 4 oz. baggies is that about 3/4 of them are Holy grail blends depending on my mood. So I guess I've got about 80 blends at the ready.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Every tin I open goes in a jar within a couple of days, and there are eight dozen 8 oz. jars stored in their original cases. There are four dozen pint jars, and fourteen dozen quart jars, for bulk. Also a lot of vacuum sealed bags. I have no idea anymore what it all weighs, but it's less than my Capt. Duane has. He's such a hoarder. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.