PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Title edited. Please capitalize important words only. -jpm

Just for conversation sake, how many pipes do you have? I would guess that I have around 60 of various quality and brands. Of those, I probably only smoke regularly around 10. The others get smoked occasionally. Pipes are such great pieces of art that are so hard to resist.

Last edited by a moderator:

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
5 meers, around 20 briars and an unknown number of cobs scattered around (dozens probably, mostly unsmoked). Cheap cobs are nice to use as giveaways to people who want to experiment.

I do have a new briar showing up in a couple days that I’m planning on dedicating to maple blends - just because.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Maybe 15, plus as many cobs.

I've been smoking a pipe for nearly ten years now. My goal is to have a small well-curated collection of nice pipes. I've already got the "small" part taken care of. Now I just need to swap out my cheaper pipes for some that I enjoy even more.

I can say that all my pipes are "good smokers" and I simply haven't felt motivated to seek out more pipes because I have enough to have a decent rotation that meets my practical needs in pipe smoking.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Though I've culled three or four times, I have 92 pipes last count. I do rotate smoking through them over time. One of my problems is that, though I treasure my up-market pipes that have come as gifts and splurge purchases, I sincerely admire more modest factory pipes, U.S. factory pipes, MM cobs, French pipes of ordinary provenance, and so forth. These aren't compromises or strictly thrift. I could happily do all my smoking with my fewer "better" pipes. I'm just equally devoted to my Kaywoodie, Dr. Grabow, Ropp, MM cob, and Italian Stanwells. Sometimes good industrial design, well executed, equals distinguished artisan carving. Whole museums emphasize the glories of industrial design, like the Victoria and Albert in London, and sections of the Museum of Modern Art in New York. Too many pipes, I have, but they are appreciated.