PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Wait...

How do you get the bowl packed if you do it blind?
I think you're making a joke, but I do that essentially several times a week. I keep my eyes on the road while driving, but load a pipe one handed, not looking down, light it with eyes on the road, and get an occasional hot ash on my clothes...still with eyes on the road. . :)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I think you're making a joke, but I do that essentially several times a week. I keep my eyes on the road while driving, but load a pipe one handed, not looking down, light it with eyes on the road, and get an occasional hot ash on my clothes...still with eyes on the road. . :)
I think he's asking how to pack an unknown tobacco yourself.

Wait...

How do you get the bowl packed if you do it blind?
Some of us have someone around to do this for us, or you can pack all of your pipes and then forget... or you could pack a few and then mix them up like a 3 card monte. Put all of the packed pipes into a bag and draw one out blindfolded. Pack the pipes while blindfolded. There are a few ways to skin that cat.

Hell, these days, every pipe I smoke, I guess at what's in it. I spend so much time just making sure I don't walk outside without my pants that I can't seem to remember much else. puffy

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have only 43 different blends in my cellar and know many without looking at them. I know my batch of 2007 Stonehaven really well. I know my batch of 2012 Mac Baren Old Dark Fired. I know my batch of 2008 Escudo . I know my batches of 1998 of Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky. and my 2006 Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake. There are many other examples. When you smoke a blend long enough you really get to know it. My 2012 Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake is an easy one.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I was just thinking about this on my way to work this morning. I filled my morning drive pipe while in a rush, and completely forgot what blend I was smoking. I couldn’t figure it out for the life of me. It took until the end of the day, when I fired up the last half of the bowl for the ride home, that I remembered it was Sixpence. Funny. One of my favorites, and with a distinct topping to boot...

The only blend I think I can reliably pin down, 100%, is OGS. That topping is an immediate flag in my mind, because I don’t know of any other blends with it.

OJK is also immediately identifiable by its barnyard smell and taste.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For some reason this reminds me of the psychology experiment where groups of college boys get roaring drunk after they were told to be careful about the punch because it was very strong, and of course it had no alcohol. Maybe an urban legend, but suggestibility is strong. Another example is where someone pretends to get ill after eating what everyone else ate, and then others get ill too.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Never saw the point of that either.
if you take away visual stimulation other parts of the brain will start to use the visual center to analyze input. So anything that increase the amount of brain room being used for touch can clearly help. And sometimes she's really nice but not really nice looking "baby it's more romantic in the dark and with this paper bag on your head."

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
For some reason this reminds me of the psychology experiment where groups of college boys get roaring drunk after they were told to be careful about the punch because it was very strong, and of course it had no alcohol. Maybe an urban legend, but suggestibility is strong. Another example is where someone pretends to get ill after eating what everyone else ate, and then others get ill too.
the getting sick after someone else appears sick from eating the same thing is a good survival tactic. If there is something in there that made them sick why not eject the possibly tainted food. Seriously that's less placebo and more instinct.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
if you take away visual stimulation other parts of the brain will start to use the visual center to analyze input. So anything that increase the amount of brain room being used for touch can clearly help. And sometimes she's really nice but not really nice looking "baby it's more romantic in the dark and with this paper bag on your head."
?‍♂️
Got boring in my teens.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I can't believe you guys! You have to up your tasting games. With a few companies I know, I can tell you not only what blend I am smoking, but which blender made it (a most of the guys at GH&Co drink a lot and tend to spill on the tobacco. Run Flake is best when they let Jerry make it, he spills Bacardí Paraíso on the flakes and it really adds to the flavor. Ian on the other hand, drinks that candy ass Malibu Rum and it comes out tasting like Hawaiian Tropic).

For real though, I can blind taste Pembroke and there is no mistaking Ennerdale or Grasmere Flake. Once you've smoked either of the last two, love them or hate them, you'll remember them to the grave.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
?‍♂️
Got boring in my teens.
You're doing something wrong. Maybe even bothering in the first place. You wouldn't be the first person I've run across that just doesn't really have much interest. Best one was one lady I knew told me if she had to it wouldn't be that terrible. There was no way to fake the level of disinterest. The kids call it asexual. For me it is the only reason not to live in a monastery.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
So essentially what you’re saying is that if @cosmicfolklore turned off the lights, he’d enjoy smoking a corn cob pipe?

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
No trouble telling the different types apart, Virginia vs. Burley vs. English vs. Aromatic.
But individual tobaccos, unlikely, but I'm starting to improve. I grab a jar without looking at the label and pack. I can usually tell most of my English blends apart, but everything else is a crapshoot, unless its a really odd aromatic like Eileen's Dream or Cherry Bomb.

So, if you can’t tell one blend from another when you smoke them, why even bother with labels on jars? Just jar them up, put them in a closet. You probably can’t even taste the age, so just smoke them knowing that whatever jar you blindly grab and open, you’ll like, because you must have liked them enough to buy them in the first place.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
So, if you can’t tell one blend from another when you smoke them, why even bother with labels on jars? Just jar them up, put them in a closet. You probably can’t even taste the age, so just smoke them knowing that whatever jar you blindly grab and open, you’ll like, because you must have liked them enough to buy them in the first place.
Closet full of digital tobacco and, a tin of lollipops....................