PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
Harris, what the heck do on a deep clean then???
I believe there is another link on here where Harris demonstrates how he uses his laboratory centrifuge and his pressure washer to perform a deep clean on a pipe.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
I use one pipe cleaner after every smoke without exception. And, I rotate pipes. My pipes are dedicated specifically to specific blends. I do not leave a pipe cleaner in the pipe. I prefer to let it air dry on the rack. I never have to do a "deep clean". I do always use a dull pipe knife to ream the bowl after every smoke. Then, from time to time, I use the Ream and Clean pipe tool to remove excess acrbon from the bowl.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I use 3, how does it take you 1.5 rot, do you cut the other end off the cleaner and store half the pipe cleaner for later???

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
I don't go so far as to clip the dirty tip off a used PC, though I am known to be cheap, frugal and very obsessive about wasting not. In fact, I use the old PCs as fire starters for barbeque - throws off a great aroma. I'm a minority, on a different track than all the posters here, since I average maybe 3 cleanings per PC. I re-use pre-used PCs on the first swab, usually into the shank where things are tarrier. I also fold over the used PCs with dirty tips, twice in fact - that gives me more circumference to work with inside the mortise. Then I run clean (or at least cleaner) PCs through till one comes out more or less clean. I set each PC on a tray in order of use, and have 5 or 6 going. Estates, which I don't run through a retort, chew up a lot of PC usage, especially the first dozen bowls.
hp

les

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
I usually use 2 for routine cleaning. I've been trying to get my tobacco drier so my pipes have been cleaner after a bowl.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Kris, my sons do my deep cleanings for me and they do comment that the pipe is never really dirty, but I like using Everclear after about 10 bowls to keep it fresh tasting. They use a shank brush and PC's and then polish my pipes. I do any reaming that is necessary, I have not taught them how to do that.
I know I may be a bit obsessive but my pipes have never once gone sour and I never taste anything off putting. I do get dirt off of each cleaner so it is there. I like my pipes to be as clean as possible so my tobacco tastes as good as possible.
Peck, that was funny.

acaciavet

Lurker
Sep 8, 2009
I use A Pipe Cleaner during my smoke to keep things dry so when its time to break one down I need one Bristle and one fluffy.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I use one pipe cleaner and a q-tip, but I have cheap pipes, when I get expensive ones I will use as many as it takes to make it perfect for the next smoke. I get them from china for next to nothing so it doesn't really matter.

qhelms

Lurker
Jan 19, 2013
A pipe cleaner as needed during smoking. After the pipe cools I dump the ash and dottle, double that used cleaner and swab out the bowl then run two fresh ones down the stem. Every 4-5 bowls I break the pipe down and swab it out with a cleaner soaked in rum.Never had a sour smoke yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.