PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Too many. I've got 17 jars and 10 open tins in my rotation. And plenty more blends that I can't wait to crack into. Gonna concentrate on knocking it down to a dozen before I crack open a new one.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I have 11, I have the little 2-3oz snap top jars I keep them in. 7 I hit regular, and probaly 3 different in a day depending on what my mood is and what I'm doing. The rest is all jared up and stored. Most times I'll be in a VA mood and goto the BBF and FVF, and work up into the spice with AK, LR,or VS...Then it can go to nightcap whatever lols. Then somedays it's FMOT, 1Q, Dansk black... One of the things I love about pipe smoking. I like to try different stuff, I found the wall on latkia to be Larry's blend, going to dump it or try to blend it with something like CH or something.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Hmmm. Off the top of my head I would say 15 or 16, although I move open tins to jars. I never have much less than that.

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
it seems like it comes down to a balancing act of routine, variety by mood, and actual storage and maintenance of the tobacco.
I have as a regular rotation:
CAO Eileen's dream

Sutliff Molto Dolce

McClelland Holiday Spirit 2012

Stokkebye 4th Gen 1897

Brigadier Black Alamo

Mac Baren Vanilla Cream

Erinmore Flake

Peterson University Flake
stored away until my mood brings them back as far as I remember I have:
Newminster Creamy Peaches

MacBaren Honey and Chocolate

McClelland Old Church
currently sampling and testing:

Sutliff - about 6 or 7 tins: barbados plantation, st george, metropolitan, charlemaine, and a few others.

Mac Baren 7 Seas Gold

Peterson Hyde Park

Presbyterian
and a few others which I cant remember at this time...
too many.... but thats the fun in it all!!!

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
I guess I need to get some jars since I have about a dozen open tins plus about 6 Ziploc bags with B&M blends. My problem is I smoke 1 maybe 2 pipes a day but I buy tobacco like I smoke 12 pipes a day. I've noticed some of the open tins getting too dry so I'll have to try the rehydrating methods I've seen on here and then putting some of it up in jars.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
BTW, when I mentioned my own "open tins," I didn't mean that literally: I don't keep my open tobacco in its original tin. Whenever I open a tin, it goes into an airtight jar for current consumption. Everything else remains cellared in its original tin. And I typically smoke the equivalent of a tin a week, but that's usually spread across my 5-6 open blends at any one time.
Bob

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
It seems the quest for that perfect rotation of tobaccos may be as elusive as the perfect sound for electric guitar... just an endless ever changing quest.
Exactly.
I have 10 tins open. I mainly smoke only flakes and they dry slower so I keep the opened tin with its lid on in a zip lock freezer bag. This slows the drying enough that the month or two it takes me to finish the tobacco it stays just about right. Really with this method it takes three to four weeks before I even notice the flakes begining to dry at all.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I currently have 20 blends that are part of my regular smoking rotation. I love variety and have always kept a large number open. 16 are tins and 4 are bulks. I keep my open tins in tupperware like plastic containers that are air tight and keep my tins fresh for a couple of months.

englishdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
Denver, CO
My rotation looks like this:
GLP Odyssey, GLP Union Square, McC Frog Morton, GLP Sextant, GLP Blackpoint.
Waiting in the wings are GLP Maltese Falcon, and C&D Da Vinci. Of course, there's more on the way.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Harris don't you find that the tin will impart some of its flavor, with oxygen present there's a chemical reaction occurring, even though small, it is happening. Moisture, oxygen and tin is oxidizing at a slow rate.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
dragon, I have never noticed anything like that. The tobacco never physically touches the tin, they are all wrapped in the paper that comes with the tin. I will go through 16 tins in like 75 days so I am sure nothing is taking place in that short of time. Interesting theory though, might be a great question for the ask GL Pease section of the forum.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I currently have 19 tins open and stored in my humidor. They seem to be keeping well as I notice no change in moisture level or flavor in the older tins. I am in the experimental stage and having a good time. When I get things sorted out I plan on shortening my rotation. In the meantime I need to smoke fast (not tongue-bite fast)! :puffy:

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
As a side note triggered by one of the posts above, I have never liked keeping tobacco in zip-loc bags. I've always felt they imparted a weird flavor and aroma to the tobacco. Though I am perfectly willing to accept that it's in my head. Thoughts on this?

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
I have never liked keeping tobacco in zip-loc bags. I've always felt they imparted a weird flavor and aroma to the tobacco. Though I am perfectly willing to accept that it's in my head.
I'd have to agree, although I could also say it might just be in my head as well... I am not the guy you ask if a food smells spoiled or not, because as soon as I get that thought my brain will always doubt on the safer side. I had some decent smelling tobacco in a ziplock which was inside a plastic mason jar, and now it seems to smell weird....

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Don't laugh but at last count I had 40 open tins that I've jarred up. What can I say, I like variety. Lots of overlap, many are good but not worth buying again. I'm hoping to get it down to about a dozen at some point.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I have about ten tins open at the moment, but I want to cut this down. I am also beging to find blends I like and I don't need to try as many as I have on the past.

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
I love this! None of us do things the same way! Each one is unique in some way. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.