PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Smoke more bowls per pipe, perhaps shorter pipe life. Plus side: fewer neurotic worries.
Smoke fewer bowls per pipe, you can buy more pipes and explain it to your family this way. Plus side: lots of cool pipes.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
so please tell this new guy why a pipe deserves a rest? Do you mean it needs a cleaning after so many uses or does the briar actually need to dry out or something?
It is a myth perpetrated by pipe manufacturers to get everyone to buy more pipes! Fortunately, many of us also love to have many pipes, myth be damned, we're going to buy lots any how.
In a more serious vein, I'd suggest a light cleaning after every bowl. If the chamber is damp after a smoke, rest it till it's dry, and/or wipe out the chamber with a paper towel then let dry overnight.

sk806

Lurker
Oct 6, 2016
Smoke more bowls per pipe, perhaps shorter pipe life. Plus side: fewer neurotic worries.
Smoke fewer bowls per pipe, you can buy more pipes and explain it to your family this way. Plus side: lots of cool pipes
I seem to be heading down the second path...

anarchisthermit

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2015
When did briar become so freaking fragile? I have a Kaywoodie that gets smoked first pipe of the day, every day. Sometimes twice a day. It is closing in on 1500 bowls in the 3 years I've had it. And is still one of my best performing pipes.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Don't think the focus was on durability, rather taste. If a pipe gets funky from lack of cleaning esp. when moisture is abundant, it's a problem for the next smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.