PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
Title edited. Please read Rule 9.

Just wondering, obviously there will be much variation.

I tend to only load them halfway at this point because if they’re packed to a medium level they last long enough; any more than this and I weary of the pipe before it’s done.

At my rate of half bowls and 2-3 per week I’m making tins last a long while but I wonder about others’ results.

As well, if I were to buy about the same amount of Flake or some other, would I get more per tin?

thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MtnGeo and jpmcwjr

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have no idea. I have probably 2 dozen different blends in rotation at once. Different blends get smoked in different pipes, with different bowl sizes. Really impossible to keep track - and, "frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
I smoke it till it’s gone and I don’t count how many bowls I get out of it. I thought about this before and tried to calculate it out - but it doesn’t make a lot of sense. I just want to have enough so I don’t run out. How much is that? ?‍♂️

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
The math is quite simple.

There are 28 Grams per Ounce.

So a 12 ounce tub contains 336 grams.

The average bowl size is 1.5 to 2.0 grams.

Divide 336 grams by 2.0 and you get 168 bowls per 12 ounce tub.

A 2 ounce tin would have 56 grams. Divide 56 by 2.0 and your tin will yield approximately 28 bowls. — At one bowl per day, a tin could last one month.

Variance occurs due to bowl size and packing method and how many bowls per day you smoke.

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
A pack of 20 marlboro red @ tescos In uk =12.55 GBP (16.77 USD)
12.55 X 365 DAYS = 4580.75 GBP 6121 USD

I am not a cig smoker and the prices can vary a lot in the US, but I think that’s around double what they cost around here.

I can estimate with weight, bowl size, and frequency... but at the end of the day, the estimates don't mean squat. Some tins go like wildfire, and some will stick around for weeks for me. Capstan Blue, seems like there are maybe five good smokes in the tins. Poof, it's gone. Then C&D Kellys Coin will last me six weeks smoking it several times a day. It is really just hard to say.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I strongly suspect that the form of the tobacco factors into this, although I haven't measured to verify this.

If you smoked 2 oz. of ribbon (packed in whatever way you pack ribbon), 2 oz. of flake (packed in whatever way you pack flake), 2 oz. of crumble cake (packed in whatever way you pack crumble cake), and 2 oz. of coins (packed in whatever way you pack coins), all in the same pipe, I bet that you'd get differing numbers of bowls.

Maybe someday I'll open fresh tins and pack and empty bowl after bowl, just to test the suspicion.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Ribbon or ready rubbed in my largest pipe I pack about 4 grams, so a tin of 100 grams would last about 25 bowls. For flakes I like smaller pipes that hold about 3/4 to 1 flake, I have no idea how much flakes are in tin, but I think it's about 2 grams a pipe.

A tin could last about 6 months just because I have a tin open of every catagory I like, about 4 tins at the same time. And I like to smoke a cigar or even don't smoke for a week just because I don't feel like it.

Reactions: Carol and jpmcwjr

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
I did a test once..At the beginning I took a 50g tin of Presbyterian mixture and every time I smoked a bowl (different sizes) i put a bar on a tin...it was exactly 16 bars on it when finished -so 16 bowls...usually tin last me 12 days +-.....so 2 tins a month which is about 25 $ a month expense..I do not smoke during the summer hot 4 months so 8 month multiply 25,-$ is 200,-$ a year...Not too bad...Cigarette smokers bill is about 150$ a month if pack a day smoked..

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My roundhouse guess is twenty bowls in a 2 oz tin. The variables, some mentioned in earlier posts, include chamber size of the pipe(s), moisture content in the tin or jar, the cut of the blend and the constituent tobaccos, and so forth. You can buy a 2 oz tin of premium pipe tobacco for the price of a single premium cigar, illustrating the disparity of cost of the two.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Some of my pipes smoke best with a 3 gram flake. Other pipes are 3.5 grams, others 4 grams. My 2 group 6 pipes hold 5 plus grams. 2 grams in a pipe means you are smoking tiny pipes, group 1-3. 2 gram bowls means a really small pipe. I have no pipes that small.

I figure I smoke 10-12 pounds a month which is what I planned on when I built my cellar. I added a bunch a few years later so I have even more to last me the longer I live or I can increase the bowls per day I smoke and still have enough. I average 3-5 or 4-6 bowls per day. Which is what I planned on.