PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hi guys,

I am getting back into pipe smoking after a long layoff. I'm a cigar and snuff man at heart and didn't have much success with pipes but for various reasons pipes are it now after Brexit closed off my snuff channels.

How many bowls should I expect to get out of a 50g ( 1,76 ounce?) tin? I know pipe sizes are all over the map, so for the sake of discussion, please use a Dunhill Group 5 as the reference bowl size.

Thank you,

Joe
that's like asking how long a 10grm snuff tin will last. There are so many things that effect it. And there are so many factors. Some cuts last longer then others. The bigger the ribbon the less I pack in the closer to a shag the more you stuff into a chamber. Though if I only smoke one tin until it's empty and smoke ten times a week... then I usually get two weeks plus 1-4days. So 20- almost 30 smokes is what I tend to get.

geoffs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2022
Ontario
I think it's possible to be as economical as you want. I have a small meer that perfectly fits one coin of Escudo. I can reliably get about 45 minutes out of it. I also have a Peterson XL02 that, if I've got it loaded with shag or something particularly dry can be smoked down in around 30 minutes. My personal experience is that tall, narrow chambers work best for economizing on tobacco.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Hi guys,

I am getting back into pipe smoking after a long layoff. I'm a cigar and snuff man at heart and didn't have much success with pipes but for various reasons pipes are it now after Brexit closed off my snuff channels.

How many bowls should I expect to get out of a 50g ( 1,76 ounce?) tin? I know pipe sizes are all over the map, so for the sake of discussion, please use a Dunhill Group 5 as the reference bowl size.

Thank you,

Joe
Wow, already 20+ responses…

I average 20 bowls out of a 50g tin. I generally smoke Group 4 size pipes.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
It depends on which Mac Baren, some of them are priced ok. I'm partial to both Gawiths so I'm trying to get a bunch of that, but it's not cheap. Robert McConnell has most of their tins in the middle of the price range for a tin here, but I'm not familiar with any of their blends so I have been going over tobaccoreviews again. Great site!

We actually can drive but Austria or Germany would kill a whole day just getting there and back, so it would take some planning and a night at a hotel and hoping whatever shop(s) we stumble on speak English.
Where are you living? Europe is vague. Unfortunately you are not living in Germany or Austria. Tobacco there is not as pricey as in the US I think. I am not shure.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm buying mostly flakes, so I was saddened to hear your comment :(
Yeah, the issue comes from comparing weight vs. volume; because flakes are so highly compressed, the same weight in the tin can yield significantly different volume when compared with shags and other non-flakes.

Reactions: smokinallover