PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowpuffer

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2012
I have a question that I've been wondering about as I read tobacco reviews. How many bowls of a blend do you smoke before you decide whether you like it or not or review it? I wonder because when I first picked up the pipe, I had a bad habit of deciding on the first bowl (this eventually led to some wasted tobacco). Now that I'm more mature, I prefer to smoke at least a half dozen bowls over the course of a couple weeks before I decide.
So, what is your answer?

terry

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
For me, I like to have at least 6 bowls in the same pipe before I can tell if I like the blend or not..some blends I let air out so to speak then try them again. It's a time consuming event and requires paitence. :puffy:

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Often I'll know if I like a blend right away.
If I at first don't like it, I will try it several times more to test the many variables that can change the way it tastes. I might try it drier or wetter, at a different time of day, after a different lunch, in a different pipe, when I'm in a different mood, etc. Sometimes just becoming more familiar with a blend might change the way I react to it, too.
Then if it still isn't right, but not horrible, I might try mixing it with a little perique or a different blend or let it age a bit before giving it a thumbs down.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Sometimes all I need is one bowl to have me sold and other times it takes nearly a whole tin. I can't say that there is any set rule although at some point you have to decide if it is worth it.

Jul 15, 2011
It is very rare that it takes me more than 3 or 4 bowls to decide whether or not I really like a blend. There are exceptions to that rule, however. I have smoked about half a tin of Gray Havens and still cant make heads or tales of it. Sutliff Private Stock Luxury Balkan blend was another one that I smoked probably about a quarter of a tin and decided I just didnt care for it.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Sometimes I like the blend with the first bowl, and after a week I dont remember what I liked about it. Others I hate when I first try them, then they become the best thing in my cellar 6 months later. I envy you guys that have such consistency, heh heh.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I also give a blend at least 6 bowls worth before I form a decision about it. That way I have at least smoked a couple of bowls in a briar,cob, and meerschaum to see which it smokes best in.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
At least 3 bowls unless the first one is absolutely horrid and it gets dumped halfway through ( read "Sutliff French Quarter" ) OR unless the first one is absolutely delicious. If it stays consistently delicious after 3 bowls, it usually warrants a review.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
Usually it takes just two bowls of a blend for me to decide if it's a keeper or not.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Ya, Keith. That's probably pretty typical in terms of rejecting a blend that you don't like.

But how many bowls would you smoke before you were confident enough to write a review?

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
I usually can tell if I really don't like something right away.

Once many years ago I was about 13 and got hold of a friends Dad's pipe and some Borkum Riff,

I puked.

Some things just stay the same.... :puffy:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I keep a tobacco log in which I write down my impressions of a blend, and give them a rating. This is solely for my own use.

Ideally, I write down my initial impressions as I smoke that first bowl. I try to make another note or two as I explore the blend more. I don't give it a final rating until I have smoked a good ounce plus - unless I have decided before then it doesn't work for me.

It rarely happens, these days, that I get a blend I totally despise. I am not of the "smoke anything you can get your hands on" school, so I don't get many clunkers. :puffy:

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
I smoked half a lb. of Bengal slice, raving, praising, ranting how great this was and then it turned on me like an ex wife wanting her spousal maintenance check. :crazy:

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
In my opinion, it really depends upon your experience of smoking the pipe and really knowing pipe tobacco. Some can review after one bowl. Others, take two or three bowls. It is really all a matter of experience in my opinion.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
All I can think of after reading the title is that old tootsie pop commercial with the owl, "wahaan, tuhuuu, th...*CRUNCH*."
On a more thread related note, I try and revisit blends that I didn't find that good every few months, sometimes I'm pleasantly suprised and other times I just pack the blend away for another day. So to answer your question 3-5 bowls over the course of a few months.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I usually know if I'll like it in one bowl. I'll smoke a few more trying to prove myself right/wrong, or try it in different types of pipe to see if it is more agreeable, but usually, it's one bowl that does it. It's been that way for every one of my favorite baccys.

Status
Not open for further replies.