PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowpuffer

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2012
I have a question that I've been wondering about as I read tobacco reviews. How many bowls of a blend do you smoke before you decide whether you like it or not or review it? I wonder because when I first picked up the pipe, I had a bad habit of deciding on the first bowl (this eventually led to some wasted tobacco). Now that I'm more mature, I prefer to smoke at least a half dozen bowls over the course of a couple weeks before I decide.
So, what is your answer?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I figure I know a blend pretty well after smoking about an ounce -- for me that's about 6 or 8 bowls.

If I don't like a blend at any time before that, I'll bottle it up in a Mason jar and sample it periodically.

Many, many times I've returned to a blend under various conditions and found it better than the early

impressions. I will rarely give up on a blend completely unless it's a cheap OTC brand.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I will smoke as many bowls as I can stand. Even after I have decided that a certain blend is 100% not for me... If there's some still laying around I tend to forget how bad it was, and I'll try it again.
I say 1-2oz is my average depending on the bowl size. Small bowl, 1oz. Large bowl, 2 oz.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
It depends on the blend. I try to give everything a fair chance, but some blends I can tell right away are not my cuppa.

slowpuffer

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2012
Moderators, I think I double posted this thread by hitting the send post button more than once. The first time I hit it, my internet lost connectivity and I didn't think it worked so I hit it again after reconnecting. Please fix as you see fit.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I will smoke about half of the tin (50g) which usually is about 10 bowls or less. I only do that if I really dont think I will like it. Lets say I really cant stand a blend, ill do the whole test period. If I like it, or I kind of like it, I just keep smoking it until its gone. Usually it gets better and better

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I normally give a blend a 4-5 tries in as many different pipes. If it still comes up as a bust I just store for a few months. A few of my favs (AM pipe as example) started out as horrible to me, 5 months later its my first pipe of the day every day.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Usually on the first bowl or 2 I will decide if I like a blend. However, I will shelf it and try again in a week or 2. If I am still indifferent to it, I will repeat the process. The only time I deviate from this is if I feel the tounge burning, then it goes in the "Never smoke again" shelf and gets gifted or traded out.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
It depends a lot on your pipe to. I always try new blends in many different pipes. I hated tobacco in some pipes and shelved it. Then tried it again in a different pipe after aging some and it tasted different. I have some tins of tobacco that I almost threw out, then I re-tried and now it's a keeper. Your tastes change as time goes on to.

I hated Balkan blends. Now, I love Balkan blends. So, I put it away and save it for later.

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
I agree I will try a blend in each pipe. If I still don't like it I will shelve for a few months.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
Usually try to give a new blend about 5 bowls, spaced a few days apart if the first one is questionable. Have run onto some that benefit from some aging. Have also run across the very rare that just don't get past the 2nd bowl. Every one deserves a 2nd bowl.

loki993

Lurker
May 10, 2012
It depends for me, some I know right off that I like them others take a little bit. Of course I'm still new. Now most of the time I know within a bowl or 2 whether or not I'm going to like something or not. I do have some Havana Daydream though that I smoked 2 bowls of, hated it and jarred up. Hmm Its been in there a little bit now maybe Ill try it again.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I can usually tell within 4-5 bowls whether or not I am going to continue smoking a particular blend. There have been a few times when 1 or 2 bowls was all I needed. Example being 1792 flake, that was some nasty stuff and I could only stomach 2 bowls of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.