How Many Blends Do You Have Open at One Time?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Stompthroat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2021
Maryland
Currently I have 38 different jars open. Although several are almost empty with just a few bowls left in them. I refuse to open anything new until I get this supply down to about a 20-24 jars.
A man with a plan! I need to refocus what I buy and smoke. It's easy for things to get out of hand, especially since I don't smoke all that often.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I am so thankful most of my favorites came in tins only. I can keep 20-30 tins open at any give time and they never dry out. I store my tins in Tupperware type plastic containers that will keep a tin fresh for 1-2 years. A pack of 4 different sizes was only like 6 bucks.

In the pic below, the opaque container with the white top is what I am talking about.
Well I learn something new everyday! Dang Harris, that is a wonderfully simple yet very effective system for storing open tobacco tins. It saves from using Mason jars and I can see that many of the larger containers have like 5-6 tobacco tins of "varying sizes and shapes." So freaking cool and it is one of those, "why didn't I think of that" moments. I personally like grabbing the tin of tobacco to pull out a flake or two vs a mason jar. Thank you for sharing this system!!!!

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I limit myself to a few tins open at a time, usually anywhere from one to five. I also have mason jars that I dip into any time. I have jars that I've been opening and closing for five years, and the tobacco has not dried out at all, even where I have been sloppy about getting tiny little flakes on the lip of the jar or the lid where it seals with the jar.

Reactions: pip01 and That Guy

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I used to jump around a bit more with different blends but lately I’m really enjoying sticking to just one or two for a while and really getting to know these. Once I finish these I will select another two blends to smoke for a while.

I’m currently alternating between Erinmore Flake and Amphora Full Aroma in respectively my Werner Mummer bulldog and my H Wiebe Radiator pipe. There is something quite comforting about exposing yourself to fewer choices.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I open and jar all new to me blends, and so I have 50 or so jars to choose from that I dip into when the mood strikes. Some get smoked more often than others. I also cellar mostly bulk, so I don't have many tins in stock. Tinned stuff almost always gets jarred up immediately in my house.

Having a wide range of blends to choose from is what gives me the most satisfaction in pipe smoking, I couldn't just have two or five blends open and available. For instance, I found a jar of Dark Strong Kentucky buried in the back of the cabinet yesterday, I haven't opened it in well over two years. That was a treat.
Dark Strong Kentucky is a favorite of mine. It gets really good with some age. I am curious as to why you would open a perfectly good tin and then jar the tobacco? I have tons of tins as most of my favorites only come in tins. I hate jars, they take up way too much space. Yesterday I cracked a tin of 2012 GL Pease Navigator that had a little bulge to it. When it cracked open it sounded like a freaking gun went off. I almost jumped out of my shorts it was so loud. The tobacco was perfect but that was a first for me.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Well I learn something new everyday! Dang Harris, that is a wonderfully simple yet very effective system for storing open tobacco tins. It saves from using Mason jars and I can see that many of the larger containers have like 5-6 tobacco tins of "varying sizes and shapes." So freaking cool and it is one of those, "why didn't I think of that" moments. I personally like grabbing the tin of tobacco to pull out a flake or two vs a mason jar. Thank you for sharing this system!!!!
Hi Neal, I am really glad you like my system. I have been posting it on this site since 2012. I have one tin of Orlik Golden Slice that is well over 5 years old in one of my containers. I never cellared the GS as I really dislike the hey and grass flavors on it. I cannot believe it is still fresh.

Reactions: npod and That Guy

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
At last count 76. I like variety and don’t smoke that much, so the jars stack up. A lot of them are blends I tried but didn’t like very much, and are nowhere close to my active rotation (to the extent I have one). Sometimes I get bored and dig them, sometimes finding something interesting I forgot about.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sometimes jars (etc.) you set aside improve significantly when you try them again, sometimes because of aging, sometimes because of the maturing taste of the smoker, and sometimes maybe because you brain has been working on that particular blend for a year or two, and you go back to it with new understanding ...if that isn't too pop-psych.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Dark Strong Kentucky is a favorite of mine. It gets really good with some age. I am curious as to why you would open a perfectly good tin and then jar the tobacco? I have tons of tins as most of my favorites only come in tins. I hate jars, they take up way too much space. Yesterday I cracked a tin of 2012 GL Pease Navigator that had a little bulge to it. When it cracked open it sounded like a freaking gun went off. I almost jumped out of my shorts it was so loud. The tobacco was perfect but that was a first for me.

Unless it's something I'm buying a tin of to specifically to cellar away (like OGS, and Chelsea Morning to name two) I want that blend available for me whenever I feel like it. So I jar it up. I've got plenty of room for jars. Stonehenge is a good example, I've got several unopened tins in the cabinet, and some jarred up to smoke. When the jar runs out, I pop a tin the next time Stonehenge calls my name, and if I don't feel like smoking Stonehenge for a year, it's all safe and sound in it's jar until I want it again.

If it's a blend that's new to me, I pop that sucker before all the packing material is even outta the box.

Reactions: Toast and That Guy