PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
So I fell for the “Tastes Like Shit-Try Some!” line. I was further piqued by a review that noted “if you ever wondered what smoking a urinal cake would taste like, this is your blend.”

The tin note is pretty good, and the strength takes me back to my early childhood-summers playing in a storm drain pipe and actually eating bites off of a “Day’s Work” plug at the insistance (and amusement of my older brother). I didn’t get any urinal cake notes and suffered through more than average relights (lord knows why).
I did get pretty clear flavor of Cold War Russian female power lifter kidney belt leather though.

Seriously, it’s strong but I was hoping for more anisette flavor.

I was wondering how it does with age?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
One has to wonder if those who compare "shit" to a blend have actually smoked "shit?" Or, tasted a urinal cake? One imagines a pipe smoker tasting his blend then dipping his head into a urinal to taste the cake. Why even read such crap? Much less give the observations any credence.

I enjoyed the tin I had but, the other "Horses" merited a large order of tins. Everyone's palate is different so, I don't recommend blends. Or, post reviews for the same reason. Jim Inks' palate seems somewhat similar to mine (Much more discerning of course.) so, I give weight to what he writes. Best I can do for you.

Reactions: Ray Popp

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
i can’t speak for the green, but I compared some first release (2017?) red with some from 2022. The main differences I put down to a change in the blend’s manufacture rather than tin time.

If you were to stock up, think more along the lines of the blend no longer being produced, or unable to be sold in your part of the world due to “flavoured tobacco” laws, rather than trying to improve it.

If you like the flavour of M79, (though I hear the perretti equivalent is better), consider buying equal portions of this and warhorse green and mixing together.

Reactions: AppalachianPipe92

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I have some of the original batch of WH green thats about 4 years old and I haven't seen much difference from the time I got it till now. I haven't tried the newer stuff so that's to be determined. I like it and the regular WH bar though, but only smoke it occasionally. Sorry, that's all I got for you. 😁

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
One has to wonder if those who compare "shit" to a blend have actually smoked "shit?" Or, tasted a urinal cake? One imagines a pipe smoker tasting his blend then dipping his head into a urinal to taste the cake. Why even read such crap? Much less give the observations any credence.

I enjoyed the tin I had but, the other "Horses" merited a large order of tins. Everyone's palate is different so, I don't recommend blends. Or, post reviews for the same reason. Jim Inks' palate seems somewhat similar to mine (Much more discerning of course.) so, I give weight to what he writes. Best I can do for you.
Com'on. We all know that guy. He lived long, and happy life smoking shit untill some jackass decided to give him a bath.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I actually think it’s good, I can’t pick out all the flavors, especially after 4-5 (smaller) bowls of mixed tobaccos throughout the day prior.

My post is a tongue in cheek nod to the guys at Standard Tobacco own discussion of the initial blendings of WH, WHG, and WH ready rub.
The “urinal cake” was straight from a review though. The leather locker room weight belt was from my buddy’s take on the room (can of truck) note.

It is strong, and flavorful (which I do like, but I have a tendency to overdo).
I believe I will jar it and revisit later, as I’m still searching for what I’ll prefer as a day to day “codger cob” smoke.

Any good VaBur’s y’all recommend with some kick, yet vanilla/licorice but not perumey taste?

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Interesting... do they taste different, or is it just the form (plug vs crumble cake)?
How it is pressed the main difference. I do prefer the STC, as I can get the blend closer to a shag and I think the balance between the leaf and the topping is better, though this could be age related and/or to do with how I prep it.

L: 2022 R: OG

E79DD198-E6D7-4C89-8CF0-7B351EE13A71.jpeg109D5ABC-B61A-46E2-81D9-3AC6054B904E.jpeg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have no idea about this question. My abiding memory of W.H Green was the taste of Anais. It was meant to be a knock off of Condor but somehow Russ got lost on that journey and produced something entirely strange and certainly unique. Since it is an aromatic I am not entirely sure if it would improve with aging. I really didn't have much input in the W.H Green since my main interest was the original W.H which really was the original 'TLS-TS' blend. At some point @woodsroad or @JimInks will probably have a thought on the op-ed here and can add something helpful to the discourse. I do agree that the SToP batch of W.H Bar differs from what is available today as I have smoked both product runs recently and there are some subtle nuances maybe due to the slight changes to the formula. Sadly the Rub Your Own blend has vanished as I assume C.I didn't bother trying to get that one through the new regulations probably due to not selling enough of the stuff to make it a commercial proposition.