PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
I know this is a long since dormant post, but I was wondering if anyone has had luck since skim coating their zippo insert? I ask because I am finally running into the annoyance of constantly refueling mine and would hate to give up the convenience of the zippo. Lol, I'd almost feel like I'm letting America down:)

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
My Zippo resides in my car. I've gotten in the habit of bringing it in each Friday after work and refilling it. I tried the petroleum jelly coating but I didn't notice any substantial difference.
Mike S.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Same here, didn't find the vaseline has any effect. I suspect, unless the case/insert are worn/distorted, much of the evaporation is through the wick. As I only smoke at home I keep my Zippo in a spare airtight tobacco jar (along with my pipe tool and a few pipecleaners, just to keep them all together) and I refill the Zippo about once a week.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I've tried many different butane lighters but was never happy with performance. They all would burn less intensely after the first refill.
I'm back to a couple of Zippos. I keep one in my car, and one in my pocket. I refill routinely every two or three days and am quite happy with it. Takes less than a minute.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I remember sitting at a table at my first pipe show. An older man had a very expensive lighter. He was struggling to refill it and get it to work. I smoked half my pipe before he got his pipe lit.
I enjoy my zippo.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If you slip it into a plastic baggie at night or otherwise when it's not in use for a bit, your fuel will last longer. How much: I dunno, but could be substantial!

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
I've been using a Zippo Pipe lighter, the one with a nifty pipe on the case. I've recently taken to storing it with a 1.25" tall wrap of narrow bike innertube. if it fits tight enough it's quite waterproof. I carry it this way and when the pipe comes out I peel off the tube, goes back on at end of a smoking session. A bit hobo-esque but it works pretty well at keeping the fluid from evaporating so quickly.

dsollars

Lurker
Mar 25, 2014
I have three ZIppos. I discovered that in two of them the length of the wick was all collected up at the top of the cotton. I rearranged the wick to run though the entire mass of cotton, and found they last longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.