PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Sorry for yet another newbie question... This one I posed in another thread, but thought it deserved it's own.
From reading posts here and elsewhere, it seems like it can depend on the particular blend, but very curious what people have to say on this point.
I've been buying small amounts of various blends, some I like, some not so much - but of the blends I don't like, I can see myself smoking sometime down the road, but I am wondering how long the "road" will last... especially if kept in the original tin or baggie.
Is it worth moving a measly ounce into a mason jar if it will be stored for several months?

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
If original tin is sealed, decades. Get it out of baggy and into Mason jar or equivalent ASAP. Once you have a good seal it'll last awhile.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Really appreciate the advice - here's another Q: if it's only an ounce, will a larger jar (I have many 16oz jars on hand) do okay? Is it worth buying smaller jars?
And do you do anything special to seal it?
Thanks again.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Whatever size is fine, I think..if your gonna be smoking it just put it in and make sure there's no loose baccy around where the seal meets jar

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If you have some tins and small amounts open, grab a couple of plastic tubs that seal well from walmart. I have a blend I don't care for that has been sitting in one of these tubs for 11 years now and it is still good to go.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
For re-sealing tins, run a bead of bee's wax around the rim, press on some aluminum foil, and snap the plastic cap back over the whole affair.

It will keep the tobacco in good condition for a long time. (I think any type of wax will do in a pinch.)

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Good advice!! I was looking for the same answers!!! Cigrmaster, THANKS FOR THE BEAUTIFUL CHARLTAN AND UNBELIUVABLE AMOUNT OF TOBACCO!!! Sorry to post it on this thread, but you had freshly posted! There's a more formal Thanking on the thread "gratitude:!!! U da man!!!!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Yes, thanks everyone—extremely helpful. The beeswax tip is a really interesting one - and also glad to hear that simple plastic tubs work well too! I may try both.

Status
Not open for further replies.