How Long Does It Take You To Finish 1.8oz?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordebak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 12, 2016
I'm asking this, because count of bowls per day doesn't make much sense to me. The pipes I smoke right now are on the smaller side of sizes. But I saw some bowls that are very small and very big. So, 1 bowl a day for one person, may mean 3 bowls a day for another.
I tend to smoke a lot nowadays, since I quit smoking cigarettes. I smoke 8-12 bowls a day. I know, it's a lot, I intend to reduce it in time. But this may mean 3-5 for some people using huge bowls.
So a more meaningful question for me is: How long does it take you to smoke some certain amount of tobacco? Say, 1.8oz (or 50 grams). Not from the same tin though, I mean generally.

May 4, 2015
8-12 bowls of cigarette tobacco a day? Isn't that what you said you're mostly smoking right now in your pipes? My goodness.
I'll be right about where you're at, now that I'm trying to kick the cigarettes.
Before it was 2 bowls a day at 10 bowls an ounce, so an ounce every 5 days or so.

gordebak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 12, 2016
Yeah, I smoke a lot. But I started with 12 a day, and I manage to smoke 8 a day right now. My pipes usually take a little more than a tobacco in a cigarette, so I might be smoking less than one pack a day in terms of cigarettes, which is good for me, because I used to smoke 2 packs a day and I don't inhale right now.
I'll try to reduce it to 2-3 bowls a day. Without inhaling, it even doesn't count as smoking in my world. I'm asking this question, because I try to understand how long a pack of 1.8oz tobacco will cover me when I smoke 2-3 bowls, maybe 4 a day. This is for calculating my expenses. So I can decide if I want to buy some good tobacco online.
Edit: 1 ounce every five days seems actually fine. If I can smoke like you, it will be worth to buy some good tobacco. So on average 2-3 bowls a day is fine then. Thanks!
Edit: Now the hard part. Smoking only 2-3 bowls a day.

gordebak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 12, 2016
Yeah, I'll try to smoke a tin a week. That's my first goal. Second goal is smoking a tin in two weeks. And that's where I want to settle.
Edit: Thanks!

May 4, 2015
If I could smoke at my office - no question I would smoke 8-10 bowls a day.
If you're trying to do a tin every two weeks, that's about a bowl a day.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I consider a good size pipe to be a group 5. It normally holds about 4 grams of tobacco. A 50 gram tin has approximately 12.5 bowls at 4 grams a bowl. If I am smoking a group 4 sized pipe, that holds about 3 grams per bowl so that means 16 bowls in a 50 gram tin.
If I smoke 4 bowls per day in my group 5 that means 16 grams of tobacco per day. 16 grams times 365 = 5840 grams per year. That translates into 12.8 pounds of tobacco a year. If you are going to smoke for 20 years, that means you need 256 pounds of tobacco. You had better get buying. :mrgreen:

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Seams like a tin a week sounds right for me, then it all depends on the individual, just do your best to keep your cellar stocked and try not to worry about it

gordebak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 12, 2016
Thanks guys! I think I shouldn't worry about it much. A tin a week, I can do easily.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I usually have a few tins open and one rarely lasts more than a week. A 50 gram tin would probably last two days if smoked exclusively. I smoke eight to twelve(?) bowls, a stray cigarette or ten in a normal day of 16 to eighteen hours.

gordebak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 12, 2016
@warren: You're a heavy smoker like me, except that I recently gave up cigarettes totally. I too smoke 8-12 bowls a day. I will try to find a normal smoking pace which is much slower than this. A tin a week sounds fine to me.
I had doubts financially, but as it turns out, my local tobacconist isn't very expensive, and an overall nice guy too. I'll be buying 50g pouches for 17.5 Turkish Liras which is approximately $6. I've seen some threads where people tell they buy a pouch of Captain Black for much more.
I don't have a wide range of choices though, so I guess I'll start with Captain Black. And I'm more willing to try some aromatic blends now. I might buy a Captain Black pouch with some mild chocolate flavor maybe. I don't know yet.

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
I'd recommend you find additional tabacconists or order from abroad in an effort to avoid captain black.

I almost quit the pipe entirely because of Captain black, thinking that all pipe tobacco was similar to it, but after having tried several Samuel Gawith flakes and some Hearth & Home blends (Anniversary Kake), I realized that there are far better quality pipe tobaccos.
This is purely my subjective experience of course, but for me a good flake such as St.

James or First Virginia Flake, or Sam's Flake, all put Captain black to shame.

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
I usually smoke 1-2 bowls per day, maybe 3 on weekends and I have yet to smoke 4 in a day. I do it to relax and to get my nicotine fix so I don't feel like I need more per day. On the tin question now, I keep 2-3 open tins at a time so it takes me a while...

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I also recommend avoiding the Captain Black, especially since there are hundreds of blends available that are much better. I realize you are trying to keep expenses down. What I do is to order bulk tobacco, many fine ones are available online for $30 per pound, so even with shipping you might find it actually cheaper.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I know it's hard to believe but, there are thousands of Captain Black fans out there. And many of them have access to the "better" blends as you put it. It's a matter of choice. Not all of us are blessed with your discerning palate panama. I keep a couple of Captain Black Royal pouches handy. Cost is not an issue, I simply like a few of the so-called drug store blends within reach.

Status
Not open for further replies.